My wireless network router hacked?

Hi,
I am not very good at networks so just a heads up that my question may be a little too rudimentary. Since few months i have noticed my office laptop drops network connection. I predominantly use only my office computer though have 1 more personal computer which typically just stays powered on, it has been a while since I used it. I realize that when I switch my personal computer off, i do not have issues with my other computer that i normally use. So I am sort of concerned whether my network has been handling too many computers and so drops off frequently. I do not mind keeping my other computer switched off almost all the time, but am concerned that my network is hacked. I have a password that i set up almost 18months ago when i bought my router but i am guessing hacking a router is not a very difficult thing to do. What can I do in this case, I have now changed the password also? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
-RSR

Also, just to give an idea i have a D-LINK router and I have been trying to login to it for the last few hours, but cannot. Either I forgot my password or something has happened to my network router. I think I will have to reset my router.

-RSR

To protect your router:
  1. change the default Admin password
  2. disable remote administration and login on port 8080
  3. if you're primarily a wired setup, disable the WiFi
  4. if you FIRMLY believe the router is hacked;
    • get a fresh copy of the firmware for your make/mode - - be sure to get BOTH correct
    • reload the firmware
    • then start over from 1-3

TCP issues to consider include
  • disable fragmentation in the packets
  • set the MTU to 1492 for the ADSL norm (even if you're cable or satellite)

I also hide the SSID and enable MAC authentication on my wi-fi router. Not unhackable for someone determined to get in, but it will keep most folks out.

All, thank you for the suggestions. I reset my router yesterday and reinstalled it and changed the SSID as well. So far so good. Have not had any issues with the connection.

Day 3 after the reinstall of my wireless router and things seem to be smooth. I have had not issues with the connections dropping or any signs of my wireless network being stolen...yippee..thank you for the support!

Finally, the number of pop-ups have reduced dramatically, i have virtually 0 (yes, zero !!) pop ups now..hooray...so anyone seeing anything wrong happening with your computer dropping network, increasing pop ups etc, pls dont assume that your computer is getting worse or that your wireless card is breaking up etc...just reinstall your wireless router and you should be fine...i will end this post here.

Back