Mythbusters is coming to an end after 14 seasons

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Mythbusters hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman have revealed that the next season of the science-based reality show will be its last. As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end.

In a revealing interview with Entertainment Weekly, Savage said the show’s ratings weren’t terrible although they started wondering if they’d be renewed or not about three or four years ago. They were informed that the show would be ending at the beginning of the year.

Knowing that the show was coming to an end in advance really made him happy, Savage said, as most shows like theirs just end without warning or a proper sendoff.

Mythbusters made its debut on the Discovery Channel on January 23, 2003. A year later, the show added co-presenters Tory Belleci and Kari Byron before picking up Grant Imahara in 2005. The three presenters worked in tandem with Savage and Hyneman until last year when the show cut them to take a new direction.

Oh, and something you may not know about Savage and Hyneman – they’re not friends. Hyneman said they’ve known each other for 25 years yet have never once sat down to have dinner alone together. As it turns out, their clashing personalities on the show aren’t an act – Savage really does love being in front of the camera telling stories while Hyneman is only interested in design and engineering.

The duo will embark on one final Mythbusters Live tour before it’s all said and done. After that, they’ll probably never work together again.

The final season of Mythbusters starts January 9, 2016.

Image courtesy Discovery Channel

Permalink to story.

Haven't seen new episodes in 5 years as they only buy crap to show on tv here. Sad that it ends but wasn't scientific enough for my taste anyway and hope Hyneman will get new show were he invents stuff with maybe more engineering oriented crew. Savage is fun too and maybe he'll do some nerdy stuff. That said I think they never have to work again, just go to events and sell the old series but hope they continue doing something in tv industry, just not anything like unchained reaction which just rides on their popularity without actually having them in it or anything to do with them or their skills.

I enjoyed the 3 episodes I saw then it got real old, real quick. I thought the show had died years ago, in fact I'd completely forgotten about it until now.

Likewise, I didn't even realise it was still making new episodes, I stopped watching it a few years ago. I did enjoy it though - who doesn't enjoy watching things go boom? :)

It was inevitable after this most recent season without Tori Grant and Kerri, they tried a new direction, one that wasn't terribly good in my opinion. I've been watching the show from the beginning, have every episode on my pc, it's great to see how the show evolved in it's more than 10 year run. Despite some people not being fans of the show they should at least respect the ingenuity and creative manner taken when solving problems and over comming challenges. It has been a learning experience all around undeniably, and it's unfortunate to have to say good bye. I'll be looking forward to any future endeavors taken on by Hyneman or Savage, individually of course, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Thank you Beyond Television Productions for producing a show that could be educational while still being fun to watch.

They're not friends? Cmon now.
Even though they don't go out to the bar after a show and have a drink together, their friendship is evident, and more real then most people's paper-thin friendships these days.

I liked Mythbusters and I have been a fan for quite sometime. But I have to be honest, there were moments throughout the show, in which, I didn't enjoy watching it very much.

The show was really good and I did learn a lot from it, but I think it would be time for it to be over.

Well... hopefully at least Kari and Grant may still be doing the "Pumpkin Chunkin" thing in the fall. When Tori, Kari and Grant were no longer on Mythbusters I somehow quit watching it anyway. I like Adam and Jamie, but without the others there does not seem to be the same "chemistry" as there was with them. So goodbye Mythbusters... you filled a niche that needed filling and maybe something else will come along that is a bit more scientific, thorough, and investigative. We still need something like this or it wouldn't have lasted as long.

Back