N95 masks are a big falacy

D

DelJo63

One example that just screams at me is the misuse of N95 masks. The public is wearing them with the belief that it protects the wearer from the general public, when the direct opposite is the truth -- N95 masks protects the general public from the wearer. These masks are good for particulate matter like smoke; not microbial airborne virus' which requires dual carbon filters, for example:
Covid-19:      Developing High Tech Protective Masks OR Image result for biological face mask protection

Neither does wearing a cloth mask. Especially if you don't bother to shave a beard off. I saw a guy the other day wearing a square mask just big enough to cover his mouth. And had more hair surrounding the mask than he had on top of his head.

People are so goofy thinking that will stop the spread of airborn contagions in either direction.

Most of the benefit of wearing masks is strictly imparting a feel safe, placebo effect, on the wearer.

I find the sh!ttin' things just cause my glasses to fog up. (Which states the obvious, that my breath is escaping anyway).

And BTW, 6 feet is only a fairly safe social distance, if you happen to be upwind of a carrier.

Even predators have the good sense, or perhaps instinct, to approach prey from downwind. The reverse of which is true if you want to avoid "smelling" others. Always approach social contact from upwind.

Last edited:
Omg , I think in this masks will be hard even to wear for few hours at least , yeah its safe but to use ... hmmm.

Use of the masks and gloves are just there to give people a false sense of control and safety. Almost all people I've seen using them are using them wrong anyway, so they're just wasting product and not even properly protecting themselves.

99.9% of all the people I've watched wearing masks use them wrong.
People wearing masks, they're always touching them or pulling them down so they can talk to others. What good does it do these people if they're touching their mask....they're breathing on these things and now they pass along their germs to everything they touch and they also contaminate the masks with their hands from everything else they've touched.

99.9% of all people wearing gloves that I've seen use them wrong. As they walk around and touch everything, they proceed to keep their gloves on as they touch all their personal belongings (keys/phone/wallet/purse/pockets/masks/etc). Those morons have now rubbed all the germs from everything else they've touched on their personal items they'll be handling later....then people keep their gloves on and touch their steering wheels and everything else in their car.....

They're barely effective against dust. I've used them sanding cars for a living and sinus still get clogged. So with any droplet and aerosol matter, you almost certainly will breathe it in. You would need a cartridge loaded respirator and that would seem almost ridiculous at this point. Shifting to healthier habits would be your best bet at this point.

And it's shocking that it still needs to be explained but, it is what it is. Honestly, the only outlet I have seen that stresses the use of respirators over face masks is MSNBC and Chris Wallace from Fox so like em or not they do deserve props for that.

EDIT
I think that if the mask is specified as a surgical n95 mask then it is useful for any coronavirus.

Use of the masks and gloves are just there to give people a false sense of control and safety. Almost all people I've seen using them are using them wrong anyway, so they're just wasting product and not even properly protecting themselves.
I think I summed that up in my post #4 Thus:
Most of the benefit of wearing masks is strictly imparting a feel safe, placebo effect, on the wearer.
99.9% of all the people I've watched wearing masks use them wrong.
People wearing masks, they're always touching them or pulling them down so they can talk to others. What good does it do these people if they're touching their mask....they're breathing on these things and now they pass along their germs to everything they touch and they also contaminate the masks with their hands from everything else they've touched.

99.9% of all people wearing gloves that I've seen use them wrong. As they walk around and touch everything, they proceed to keep their gloves on as they touch all their personal belongings (keys/phone/wallet/purse/pockets/masks/etc). Those morons have now rubbed all the germs from everything else they've touched on their personal items they'll be handling later....then people keep their gloves on and touch their steering wheels and everything else in their car.....
Well, to simplify all that, the phenomenon is called "cross contamination". But let's face it, how can you adjust the "mask" properly, without touching it?

As an example of this, I have no intention of bleaching the $2,000.00 camera I was using to photograph the Blue Angels & Thunderbirds flyover today in Philly.

Nor do I have any intention of burning, (or even washing), the clothes I wore while doing it.

I tried to put this across before, without response, so I'll try again:
And BTW, 6 feet is only a fairly safe social distance, if you happen to be upwind of a carrier.

Even predators have the good sense, or perhaps instinct, to approach prey from downwind, to avoid their scent being picked up by the prey The reverse of which is true if you want to avoid "smelling" others. Always approach social contact from upwind.
We can always learn something from the animal kingdom, even if we apply it backwards.

One example that just screams at me is the misuse of N95 masks. The public is wearing them with the belief that it protects the wearer from the general public, when the direct opposite is the truth -- N95 masks protects the general public from the wearer. These masks are good for particulate matter like smoke; not microbial airborne virus' which requires dual carbon filters, for example:
View attachment 86337 OR View attachment 86338
Well, if we all have to run around in those respirators, the dystopian future we've all been dreading has finally arrived.

That being said, one assumes that one particle of covid19 does not a nursing home death make.

So, if both parties are wearing decent surgical style masks, while it may not eliminate the threat, it likely reduces it somewhat.

And BTW, the cartridges for those respirators have different specific functions. For example, the cartridges used for auto paints, aren't used for insecticides, those are different.

FWIW, modern auto paint have become so toxic, that a supplied air respirator is recommended. Automotive and aircraft finishes are the veritable "who's who", of the hazardous materials lists.

It should be helpful to wear masks this time.
I really wish I had read the original post more thoroughly. Equipment that is labeled as n95 absolutely does protect from getting the virus. That's why it's labeled with a 95 because it blocks a minimum 95% of impurities. Including coronavirus.

It is true that regular masks are not helpful in prevention but do help stopping an infected person from spreading it.

...[ ]...That's why it's labeled with a 95 because it blocks a minimum 95% of impurities. Including coronavirus.
Which is why only medical personnel are, (in theory at least), the only persons which should have access to them at this time.

.It is true that regular masks are not helpful in prevention but do help stopping an infected person from spreading it.
Assuming that people who are undiagnosed but are Covid positive wearing are less likely to spread it, and a covid negative person wearing a mask in their presence, should in theory, have some additional protection from the disease. however, wearing a bullet proof vest doesn't make you bullet proof, and the same principle attaches to spreading or contracting the virus however, I can't imagine people wearing bandanas or other cloth face protection are accomplishing anything other than skirting the rules. However even regular cloth will collect water droplets from your breath, and we're assuming that the virus is spread in water droplets, and not as virus particles in themselves.

I've tried to get the point of establishing a 6' social distancing requirement under certain circumstances is not sufficient. I truly think wind direction and velocity may play part in safe separation. Ask yourself this question, do you think if standing downwind of someone with the virus is enough separation? Frankly I doubt it.

Suppose someone upwind of you coughs with a 20 MPH wind at their back Would you, ""stand your ground", or sidestep while backing up?

I've taken to some eccentric behaviors in dealing with that, and similar circumstances. For example, holding my breath when I have to walk by somebody.

And them there's "cross contamination" to contend with. Believe me, if you give that too much thought consideration, you'll end up a blithering neurotic mess.

Some kind of benzodiazapine before bedtime should squelch the covid nightmares though. (y) (Y) ;)

Last edited:
And don't wear a seatbelt because you could still be killed in a car crash right?

Even if you contract COVID the initial viral load has a lot of influence on the outcome of the infection.

Nothing is 100% effective, even vaccines aren't 100% effective. You can argue about the degree to which any particular mask is useful but I promise you anything between your face and the point of transmission is useful, that's just how physics works.

Are there any other masks that can provide the same protection as how N95 does it?
Triple-layer NON-n95 masks are rated around N20 or a little less. So stack them but remember when you do that other problems come around such as fit and stretch so N20 plus another N20 will not make N40. Also polypropylene for the N95 masks isn't even small enough to filter coronavirus particles so they are blown in layers making a very difficult path for the virus to travel so the reasoning behind stacking is there.

Last edited:
Back