Need a mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwspony

Figured I would throw this out here. I am tired of my ECS mobo so I am in the market for a new mobo. I would like to find one that I can use my AGP card and my Corsair CMX512-PC3200CL2 sticks with. Anyone have an idea of which mobo I should be looking at?

No offense but I'm not sure why people are still looking for the agp thing. I could understand if you had an agp board that you were keeping now, and needed a better agp card. But its completely backwards. You might as well put out 100 bucks for a 975 board and another 50 for ram that will run twice as fast as what you have. The ones you have contain a 20 usd resell value. Just consider it.

Thanks Ray, I will check them out. As far as the AGP thing, I already have everything I need, the mobo I have now sucks big time and I want to get rid of it. I am also trying to buy a house so money is tight right now. I want to be able to use everything I have now and just swap out the mobo.

Why would you want to swap out the mobo? It sucks doesn't say anything.... What specifically about it are you not happy about? Does it lack PCI slots? Not enough ports for HDD?

If its performance you're after, swapping out motherboards only will provide the worst value for money upgrade. You're better off putting that money into your new house, and buying a whole new computer when you can afford it.

I have an ECS mobo. I had a hell of a time getting it to run my SATA drives, I have 2 gen 2 SATA's and the board is a gen 1, so my drives are throttled down to meet the mobo's speed. I could not get it to run a SATA controller card either. I can only run one fan off the mobo. It only has 2 memory slots, I would like 4. When I put it in the Thermaltake case I have and wired up the case lights for the hard drive they wouldn't work. The mobo is very limited in the video cards I can use as well. some of my problems may be due to a bad power supply, I just need to go buy one and see. This was my first PC build and I did learn a lot from all the problems I had and are having.

There is a jumper on the HDD that would set it down to gen1 SATA. Have you tried that?

Also, with the fans, you might be interested in a standalone fan controller, or better still, a molex-3pin adapter. Would be a much easier alternative to getting a new motherboard.

However, can't do anything with the mem slots. Seems like a very expensive RAM upgrade if you've got to upgrade the motherboard as well.

Personally, if you're not using DDR2, I reckon its time to get a replacement if you need more power. But if you think a new motherboard will solve all your problems, then we'll help you look for one. I don't think we've got your system specs mentioned yet, but raybay seems to know that you're using an AMD....

I do have the jumpers set on the hard drives. I also have the molex adapter for the fan. I am looking at a MSI K8T NEO2 mobo. So far I like what I see but would like more info on it. Still searching!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back