Need help adding access point on WLAN

EXCellR8

I brought home a pair of Cisco 1130AG series Access Points from work because the office is getting new ones. I wanted to know if I could use one at home with my existing wireless router etc. I don't have a lot of knowledge on how to configure these devices and I haven't had too much luck finding the answers I need...

Anyways, I have one of the AP's set upstairs with Ethernet running down to my wireless router downstairs. The router is a pretty basic Linksys WRT54G that I've had for awhile, and should be compatible with any AP correct? My problem (other than not fully understanding how the access points work) is the unit (access point) is detected by my wireless devices but they can't connect. It appears as "other network" in available connections alongside my home network (router). Are they supposed to be one in the same or different IP addresses?

I downloaded and installed Cisco IP Setup Utility (IPSU) to try and configure the device but each time I try to put in the SSID I get an invalid error. What exactly is the SSID on the access point supposed to be? The same as my home network or router's SSID?

The SSID password is your home network's password.

I have a D-Link access point that I setup differently. It is connected by wire to my PC (through the built-in motheboard LAN port) and wirelessly to my router in another room. I configured the AP via my browser by typing in the AP's IP in the address bar to access the AP's configuration interface. From there I can access the various networks that are present, find mine, type in the password (for my home network). Save the settings and I'm done. You will need to know your device's IP to connect to it. You can probably get it from the manufacturer's website if you can find the manual for it there.

I'm not an expert in these matters and can barely configure my own AP but you can use any PC to configure the AP. Once configured the AP can be plugged into the LAN port of any PC, laptop or game console to access the internet wirelessly from your wireless router without further configuring. I have several PCs but I only use a couple at a time so when it is time to rotate an idle PC into activity all I have to do is to connect the AP to the PC's LAN port along with the power cord, monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, etc. and it's done. This way I don't need separate wireless adapters installed in each PC I own.

The way you have yours setup sounds like you are using the AP as a range extender. I don't have experience setting one of those up so I can't specifically help you with that.

When I put the AP's MAC ID into IPSU it gave me the IP of 192.168.1.102 which is consistent with my network, but if I put that into my web browser (on any computer in the network) nothing comes up. So basically I haven't been able to access the configuration interface on either of these wireless AP's, but I know they're working because they are detected. I may need to find a way to reset all of the settings because they weren't configured for this type of setup before...

Thanks, I ended up resetting the unit a few times and then I was able to set my own static IP address; it's working great now! I probably should have anticipated a less straightforward setup given the class of the AP but I configured it pretty basic. I set the IP, S Mask, and Default Gateway and then enabled 802.11g with SSID broadcast and it works like I wanted it to. Not sure why 802.11g was disabled upon reset but it seems fine, and I left 802.11a disabled. Girlfriend is happy now her laptop signal is much better, so all is good!

Sure is... better yet I haven't had to tell her to move into another room, closer to the router, since installing the AP :approve:

thx for the help

Back