Need help booting of pci card

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone can help! Here is my situation. I have a Dell Dimension 4550 desktop. The IDE port on the mobo is dead so my solution to fixing this was instead of buying a new mobo, I purchased a PCI card (SYBA SY-VIA-150R PCI SATA / IDE Combo RAID Controller Card) that has 2 SATA/ 1 IDE ports on it, purchased new 250gb Seagate hard drive as well. I've connected the PCI card to the mobo, and hard drive etc. When booting it asks if you would like to install 3rd party or RAID to hit F6, I do that, then choose the WinXP/Svr2000 driver of the floppy, and after formating the hdd it installs the xp and pops up with a viamraid.sys error and doesnt seem to be able to install that file. Any help? please

You, of course, replaced the cables first in testing the IDE port?
Buy a new Dell Optiplex or Demension 4600 motherboard on eBay.

Why are your depressing the 3rd party or RAID ? What is the reason you are not installing normally?

You, of course, replaced the cables first in testing the IDE port?
Buy a new Dell Optiplex or Demension 4600 motherboard on eBay.

Why are your depressing the 3rd party or RAID ? What is the reason you are not installing normally?

Raybay - I did test the IDE port on mobo - DEAD. Just to throw out there I have worked on pc's for bout 8 years now, but I've never really worked with RAID setups or a setup like this. The reason for buying a PCI card instead of a new MObo was it was cheaper. I spent a whole like $50 for that and hdd where as the mobo would have been at the time a little more than $100, plus this way I upgraded to a SATA connection/hard drive instead of IDE. I had reloaded this system before this exact way and it worked for over a year (hdd then had disk errors) so I was forced to return the hard drive and now when restoring the hdd. Now when trying to reload it, its giving me problems....any suggestions on the error? Or tips?

Sorry, no suggestions after seeing your report. We now buy those motherboards for less than $40 plus shipping... but haven't tried what you are attempting. Failed boards fail worser as time goes on. SATA drives seem to fail more often for us... but I have never had to troubleshoot one of those devices you selected. It just seemed odd that you were using "3rd Party or Raid" to run the install which I would think would add more variables to the problem you are attempting to repair.
Would like to hear a final report on how it turned out and what did work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back