Need help choosing a notebook

andoyan

[FONT=Calibri]Hello All,[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]My son is about to go to college and is looking to get a new notebook , he saw 3 different notebook and I need some feedback as to which would be a better chose for him. He will be using the notebook for writing assays, email surf the web watching Netflix downloading movies and lessening to music and watching video. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]1)[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Toshiba -15.6” Intel core i5-320M processor, 6gig memory, 500 gb hard drive, up to 4.35 hours of battery, weighs 5.3lb, windows 8, ports:2 USB3.0, 1 USB 2.0, HDMI, (1USB port with sleep & charge), DTS studio sound, Wireless-n, HD webcam with microphone, Mfr 1year warranty. After rebate $449.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]2)[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Toshiba -15.6” Intel core i3-3120M processor, 8gig memory, 750 gb hard drive, up to 4 hours of battery, weighs 5.4lb, windows 8, ports:1 USB3.0, 2 USB 2.0, HDMI, built in numeric keypad, Wireless-n, HD webcam with microphone, Mfr 1year warranty. After rebate $379.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]3)[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]HP-15.6” 3rd gen Intel core i3-3110M, 4GB memory & 750Gb hard drive, weighs 5.18lb, windows 8, ports: 2usb 3.0, 1usb2.0, HDMI, DTS Sound+, Built in numeric keypad, wireless-n, HD webcam with microphone, Mfr 1 year limited warranty, price after rebates $369.99. [/FONT]

How soon do you need to buy and what is your budget?

Also, where will you be buying/ordering from?

For what he needs it for any of those should do; if he wants to game these won't do that; the i5 is a more powerful cpu. Keep in mind heat is the bane of a laptop so a cooling pad is essential.

Also, on average, a laptop will last up to 4 years (there are exceptions). Your experience will vary. I suggest going to Toshiba's and HP's websites and see what the customer reviews are.

For what he needs it for any of those should do; if he wants to game these won't do that; the i5 is a more powerful cpu. Keep in mind heat is the bane of a laptop so a cooling pad is essential.

Also, on average, a laptop will last up to 4 years (there are exceptions). Your experience will vary. I suggest going to Toshiba's and HP's websites and see what the customer reviews are.

I recommend HP and Lenovo PCs. Dont bother with Toshibas.

Is it possible that you can order online (straight from Lenovo) vs office depot?

I concur with JC about Toshiba. Their hard drives do not have the best reputation. I have had mixed results with HP. Lenovo can be purchased now at Staples though the # of models to choose from is limited. If you can wait I believe Lenovo will soon have their back-to-school deals coming up soon, I have ordered from them 3 laptops via online and my experience so far has been good.

I concur with JC about Toshiba. Their hard drives do not have the best reputation. I have had mixed results with HP. Lenovo can be purchased now at Staples though the # of models to choose from is limited. If you can wait I believe Lenovo will soon have their back-to-school deals coming up soon, I have ordered from them 3 laptops via online and my experience so far has been good.

Yeah Lenovo does some nice stuff.

Back