Need help choosing a Power Supply for new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hi all.

Originally, i was going to build a new PC with a single GTX 260 video card. I have since opted to build something a little different though. I was just wondering what size power supply you guys would recommend to me for my new build.

The full specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2-800
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 (for Raid 0)
Video Cards: Asus ATI Radeon HD4850's in Crossfire
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1LT

Cooling the CPU will be the Zalman 9700NT and will all be housed in the Antec Nine Hundred Two gaming case.

I was originally planning for a 650watt Corsair Power Supply Unit for this system. But i am beginning to wonder if that will actually be enough for the system. What do you guys think. Is it enough? If not, can you recommend me a good Power Supply?

Please dont say stuff like "you should get an Intel CPU and a single better video card" because i have already made my mind up on this system.

Thanks in Advance.

The Corsair line of power supplies is excellent. If you are not comfortable with the 650 try the 750; what do you need from the 12v in amps/wattage for Crossfire? Will you be overclocking?

By the way, love the cpu and 4850's in Crossfire and those WD Blacks have a good reputation. Is your system minus the psu ready to be assembled?

not yet. I still haven't got enough money to buy all the parts yet. But i should do in a couple of weeks. I do plan to overclock the system though and i think one 4850 is 110watts. Im looking forward to getting the parts for the system.

I would second Route44's selection.
Corsair HX650 ($199 inc GST) ...52 amps on the 12v rail is more than enough for most Crossfire setups.
If you are looking at 750+ for some degree of future proofing then I'd suggest either the Corsair TX/HX750 or this Gigabyte Odin Pro 800w ($225 inc GST and shipping)...62A on the 12v rails, and like the Corsair units it features four PCIe 6+2 pin connections.
I've used both the Corsair and Gigabyte units on most of my new builds-excellent reliability, efficiency, connectivity and price/performance.

not yet. I still haven't got enough money to buy all the parts yet. But i should do in a couple of weeks. I do plan to overclock the system though and i think one 4850 is 110watts. Im looking forward to getting the parts for the system.

I agree with dividedbyzero about future proofing and the 750 will provide that though Corsair HX models cost more than the TX version (I didn't know about the Gigabyte Odin Pro; must keep this in mind).

Just out of curiosity, why a DDR2 board and RAM rather than DDR3? Like I said, just curious. Then again with a few exceptions one will barely notice a difference if at all between the two RAMs.

Hey nissanman,
I'll third the PSU call by Route, and the 4850's crossfire very well. Just a suggestion on the brand of 4850. consider the Sapphire version (runs very cool) and or the XFX (lifetime warranty) if they are available there.

Since you haven't bought any of the components yet, I would suggest that you take a look at adding 2x HD 5750 in CrossFire. They would just be marginally more expensive than 2x HD 4850 and would net better performance.

Also, you might as well get a AM3 / DDR3 system if you're building one from the ground-up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back