Need help choosing ATI 4850 (1024mb) or 4870 (512mb) or Nvidia 9800GTX+ (512mb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

was looking to get a new PC. intending

Core 2 Quad 6600
4gb OCZ Reaper 8500

but cant decide between the aforementioned cards. i've decided not to go the crossfire/sli route as these cards deliver better performance for the same price and will eliminate the scaling issues i've read about with some games and allow be to xfire/sli these cards in the future.

also the cpu and mem shouldn't bottleneck? i'm running 2ghz athlon 32bit 1.5gb ddr3200 and 7600gt agp at mo :( and mem is definately bottleneck

i have been using charts on
mmm.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=0
for gfx card speed reference please change

thanks for your advice

Peter

ATi 4870 :D

Now i wish i had that kind of budget, my budget is leaving me between the 3870 and the 4850 XD

I would go with Nvidia, you can get a cheep 9000 series off newegg for like 100 bucks. ATI is cool and all but you got to remember Nvidia just announced Physics drivers for all there 8 and 9 series cards which would be a bonus.

I would go with an E8400 and wait for the HD 4850 X2 when it releases next month. For $400, you'd get one monster of a card with a dual-slot cooler to boot. If you want one now, the HD 4870 is the best choice. Avoid the NVIDIA card, PhysX support doesn't do anything to boost framerates, just the opposite in fact. Check out this article and see for yourself. They used an 8800GT, but the results with a 9800GTX+ should be very similar.

What are you talking about? The HD 4850 sells at the same price point as the 9800GTX+ and is still faster. How can NVIDIA's cards then have better bang-for-your-buck?

i dont know that much i just remembered this test but im not sure if it just because of the brands or if its the cards but it is kinda nice. i cant have an opinion because as long as nvidia and ati keep fighting an lowering prices im happy and i dont want to disturb that with bad luck!!!

https://www.techspot.com/review/103-asus-radeon-4850/page4.html

but i looked around on newegg and i noticed that you may be able to get a gtx 260 for about the same price as a radeon 4870. but im not sure which is better.

gtx 260 cheapest
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127361

radeon 4870 cheapest
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131113

im not sure which would be better tho.

Hey thanks everyone!

Guess thats my mind made up then :) i was going to mount it on a
GigaByte EP45-DS3R LGA775
seems like a good board, hope the card fits in the case ok. it is an
Antec Three Hundred Gamers Case

thanks dudes,

Peter

260< 4870

i dont know that much i just remembered this test but im not sure if it just because of the brands or if its the cards but it is kinda nice. i cant have an opinion because as long as nvidia and ati keep fighting an lowering prices im happy and i dont want to disturb that with bad luck!!!

but i looked around on newegg and i noticed that you may be able to get a gtx 260 for about the same price as a radeon 4870. but im not sure which is better.

gtx 260 cheapest radeon 4870 cheapestim not sure which would be better tho.

At the momeny from just spending over 6hours Reading benchmarks and weeding through the people like kingding who get confused and what not. I've come to the conclusion that the 280 stands on top 2nd would be 9800 gtx ins sli mode/ 9800 gtx2 they are just about the same. then would be the 4870 and then the 260. The 260 is about 10$ cheaper and performs almost as good as the 4870. The HD 4870 though can almos compete with the 9800gtx2 sometimes. So it really depends on which level or which brand you choose. As for better performance for your dollar, bot Nvidia And ATI have scaled their prices to somewhat reasonable perspectives. Of course without ATI nvidia would just have overcharged us like crazy.

Here's a simple graph
Take into consideration that these cards will run differently depending on your setup (MoBo, CPU, ram ect.) And that for certain games one card me perform better than another. That toms hardware guide is pretty accurate across the board though.

EDIT: yeah sorry about that it won't let me post links. Tom's hardware has a graph.. again my apologies I'm new to this forum and it will not let me post links.

Anyways I'm kind of in the same boat, in the end whether you got SLI or Crossfire your still stuck with the same $ TO performance ratio, and sometimes going SLI or Xfire will result in wasting money. SO there really does not seem to be any good choice it all depends on how much performance you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back