Need help on specs for gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjhume

Ok, so I play WoW alot, and i have to play on low graphic in game settings so it runs smoothly, if i turn up the settings, it lags or has bad fps, not sure what to call it, but it sucks. Im assuming its my computer( Emachines desktop, model w3507), so ill put up the current specs on it. What are some things I need to upgrade to make it run better when playing online games like WoW on higher video settings, and what are the reqs for those upgrades?
Thanks

Computer Specs:

CPU : Intel® Celeron® D Processor 352
(3.20GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Monitor : Includes eMachines® 15.4" Widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor
Chipset : ATI Radeon™ Xpress 200
Memory : 512MB DDR2 (1 × 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive : 120GB HDD (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drive : 16x Multi-format Dual-layer DVD±RW
Media Reader : 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager™ (Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, CompactFlash®, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card™, USB 2.0)
Video : ATI Radeon™ X200-based integrated graphics
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available
Sound : 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network : 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
Peripherals : Standard multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Ports/Other : 5 USB 2.0 (1 in front, 4 in back), VGA External Connector, serial port, parallel port, 2 PS/2 ports, 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions : 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16"D

What is your budget for the upgrade?

Usually increasing your RAM and putting in a better graphics card will suffice for WoW. However, waiting a while and building a new system might be a better option if you intend to play other system intensive games.

Your computer will run WoW, but based upon my experience building and seeing friends play the game extensively, it will not run well, especially in larger areas or raids. Even if you upgraded your RAM to the motherboard's max (2GB) it will still not play what I would call acceptable. You could probably get a 2 GB stick for around $45 and see what you think of it, but really when you are paying monthly fees for a descent internet connection in addition to the $15 WoW subscription fee, it seems like a shame to let your PC drag down your experience so much, and I believe that your current system would. I would highly suggest you look at budget gaming rig guides (of course Tech Spot provides great recommendations for building your own computer). If you do decide to simply try upgrading your RAM, and are not pleased with the performance, that computer should prove to be a sufficient for office work and internet browsing (I have passed mine to family members in the past)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back