Need help with home built PC

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone can make any suggestion it would be much appreciated... I am completely stuck!! If I use one one of MY IDE hard drives already formatted with windows XP the system works fine and loads windows XP as should.. I just have no experience with Sata and would really like to learn how to utilize these Sata Hard Drives I have lying around my house.

Hello I have no training whatsoever. I just learn by doing. I have an entire room of computers and computer accessories that i have been using to teach myself how to build customs PCs. I have had great success so far but I have an ASUS mother board, Seagate Sata Drive, and windows xp home, or xp professional MCE, giving me problems. I have been beating my head against it for 2 day now. It does not matter what I get running on this I have other hard drives and mother boards also if my problem lies somewhere in there. I even have other OS such as Ubuntu. I just want to get this computer up and running so I can give it to my sister.

this is the problem I am having.. I want to do a clean install of a Windows XP OS on a a computer I have built.. I'm not sure what all you need to know because I just kinda wing it when i do this stuff, and follow instructions I find online... It may be a problem with drivers... bios settings... SATA RAID BIOS settings (this is what is new to me)... or simply bad hardware.... List below here is what i know about the hardware.... there is No IDE hard drive. I do not have any of these, just SATAs lying around..

- Sata Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB (there is stuff on this harddrive, but not interested in saving the data)
(want a clean OS install of XP preferably, I have Home or Media Center Edition
- Asus mother board A7V600-X.... with .... VIA VT8237 Chipset
- 2x 512MB DDR & 1x 256MB DDR
- Creative CT4760 SoundBlaster Live X Gamer PCI Digital Output Sound Card
- ATI Radeon 9600LE 256MB DDR AGP DVI/VGA Video Card w/TV-Out
- CD-RW / DVD-ROM Drive
- DVD R / RW & CD-R / RW Drive

Upon hooking up all the hardware together this are what the screens say when I try to just start the computer without trying to install XP first....

Screen 1- After Asus Start Screen

Award Medallion Bios v.6.0, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright © 1984-2002, Award Software, INC.

ASA A7V600-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006

Award Plug and Play Bios Extension V.1.0A

Detecting Primary Slave ... None
Detecting Secondary Master ... Samsung CD-ROM SC-140
Detecting Secondaty Slave ... IMW121032IA

Primary Master drive fails
Hardware Monitor found an error. Enter Power setup menu for details.

Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP
09/02/2004-VT8377/VT8237-A7V600-X

Screen 2- After Pressing F1

VIA Technologies, Inc.VIA VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V2.31
Copyright © VIA Technologies, Inc. All Right Reserved.

Scan Devices, Please wait...
Press <Tab> Key into User Window (if you hit tab nothing happens)

Hardware Initiate failed, Please Check Device!!!
The Bios does not be installed. Press <g> to continue!

Screen 3- After pressing <g>

||Pri. Slave Disk : None SPD On Module (s) : Yes ||
||Sec. Master Disk : CD-ROM, Mode 4 ||
||Sec. Slave Disk : CD-ROM, UDMA 2 ||
||___________________________________________________||

PCI device listing.....
Bus No. Device No. Func No. Vendor ID Device ID Device Class IRQ
0 15 0 1106 3149 Mass storage controller 9
0 15 1 1106 0571 IDE Controller 14/15
0 16 0 1106 3038 Serial bus controller 3
0 16 1 1106 3038 Serial bus controller 3
0 16 2 1106 3038 Serial bus controller 9
0 16 3 1106 3038 Serial bus controller 9
0 16 4 1106 3104 Serial bus controller 11
0 17 5 1106 3059 Multimedia device 11
0 18 0 1106 3065 Nertwork controller 3
0 19 0 1102 0002 Multimedia device 10
0 19 1 1102 7002 Input device NA
0 0 0 1002 4150 Display contorller 11

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

If I put in my windows installer disk it goes through the exact same screens as above then starts with the windows set up... just when it looks like it is going to let you get to the screen where you select the partition you wish to install windows onto i get an error...

this error i receive is......

error code 32768 can not load file \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone can make any suggestion it would be much appreciated... I am completely stuck!! If I use one one of MY IDE hard drives already formatted with windows XP the system works fine and loads windows XP as should.. I just have no experience with Sata and would really like to learn how to utilize these Sata Hard Drives I have lying around my house

Pick one operating system and get to know it thoroughly. You can branch out to others later. There is a great deal more good information on a Windows XP machine than any other, which enables you to do more research on what to do next.
You may not be aware that you need drivers to go with what the operating system can do. You will need the chipset, which is VIA, which you can download and install from ASUS if you have not already done so.
It is time to get a good used book on computers and on the opearting system.
There is simply way too much to know to get help on it from this site or any other. A used copy of Windows for Dummies, and Windows XP Inside Out might be a good place to start.
Until you master a few fundamentals of an operating system, chipset, drivers, audio and video graphics, you are apt to become frustrated.

The equipment and components you described is enough to get you going.
Good luck.
Let us know where you are in this process and someone here will try to help

Back