Need help with Slacko Puppy Linux

LoneSword

So part of me feels like I didn't read into Linux enough before I made the jump, but I'm having one hell of a time trying to get a lot of things on Slacko Puppy running. Currently I'm only running it from a flash drive, but I'm in the process of attempting to use GParted to reformat my hard drive. That being said, I have absolutely no clue how to install programs. I've used the Puppy Package Manager, but I don't get how installation happens. It just looks like every time I try to open any installation files, all it does is open xarchive or the "zip" program, basically leaving me with nothing but lists of files or a bunch of data about filetypes.

I just need to know how to get GParted up and running so I can move on. Can anyone help?

That being said, I have absolutely no clue how to install programs. I've used the Puppy Package Manager, but I don't get how installation happens. It just looks like every time I try to open any installation files, all it does is open xarchive or the "zip" program, basically leaving me with nothing but lists of files or a bunch of data about filetypes.
Installation process is a bit different in Linux, you shouldn't download and install packages manually like Windows, instead you should use the default package manager which comes with your preferred Linux distribution which automatically connects to secure servers, downloads and installs the requested package for you quickly. In general it's a bad practice to download and install packages manually, because they won't be updated automatically with your package manager and it's a pain to uninstall them in case you need.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I couldn't entirely understand what I was looking at, but it's getting easier with practice. Thanks for the tip!

It almost sounds like you're grabbing source to build for yourself. You may want to get a bit more comfortable with linux before you take that step. If you're seeing several .cpp, .h, or .c files then you're working from source.

Back