Need IT translation of directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsi1

What I have:
Dell GX620 with XP Pro SP3, 2GB ram, 3.2Ghz CPU, running a GeForce 9400 graphics card with two monitors....minimum experience with DOS

What I’m attempting:
Correct the boot sequence of the XP Pro SP3 I386 file; specifically the setupreg.hiv file so the USB ports are not turned off during a normal boot.

The directions I received to accomplish this:

.<< This is a registry problem instructions are below:
1. Download the subinacl tool from Microsoft. Install this tool to the default "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" folder.
2. Download this dellregfix.zip file, unzip it.
3. Copy your Dell XP CD to a folder such as "C:\dellxpcd".
4. In your "C:\dellxpcd" folder find where the "setupreg.hiv" file is. You need to copy the subinacl.exe file from the "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" folder and the dellregfix.cmd files to this folder.
5. Now run the dellregfix.cmd file. Make sure you ONLY run this CMD script from within your "C:\dellxpcd" folder!
This fix doesn't always work, I would give it a success rate of about 90%.>>

First I don’t have this folder (C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools), so I installed a folder on the C drive to store it. Second, the file I’m looking for is in I386 folder of the copied XP Pro SP3 folder on my C drive, and I can’t open the setupreg.hiv folder, let alone install the setup exe “subinac.exe” and execute it. A more accurate statement said I could open the dellfix and double click it once it was in the XP folder, it didn’t have to be in the setupreg.hiv folder, specifically.

Is this true for subinacl.exe also? If not, how do I install it and execute the exe file in setupreg.hiv?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back