Need Logs Analyzed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtualgrrl

Hi, I've been battling a pc infection for nearly a week after clicking on a bad link. I tried running antivirus and spyware scans, but everytime I cleaned one thing, another would pop up, a different virus each time. Finally I decided to follow your 8 Steps using the programs recommended. The last Super Anti-Spyware scan (I had it set to scan ALL files) only came up with one virus (as opposed to 112 when I ran it individually, outside your outlined 8 Steps) so I am hopeful that things are ok, but still afraid to connect to the Internet until someone checks the logs for me, as this is how I seem to get re-infected every time.
(I wasn't able to get any firewall working, I would install and it wouldn't load, so I just didn't connect to the Internet after updating all the software.)

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would remove Spybot... or at least Teatimer. It does almost nothing that is positive.
Also, AVG8 is not the equal of Avast, Avira Antivir, or Kaspersky, and should be replaced by one of them.
You have the typical "file missing" report, but I don't see heavy problems.
I would replace AVG8, then run scans with the replacement, plus MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware in <SAFE MODE> IMMEDIATELY after the scans in normal mode.

Hi, thanks for your quick response.
Okay, downloading Avast to my flash drive on this pc to install on mine. Free Home Edition is okay, right?
I can run it in regular mode?
I ran just about everything in safe mode before, because I couldn't run it in regular mode. (Computer would crash every time I tried to run Super Anit-Spyware in regular mode.)

Should I run Avast in Command Line Scanner mode? Or regular?

How much memory is installed?
You might want to also defragment the drive after the first run, then scan again.
You can run AVAST in regular mode. It is a solid program... though it seems a bit strange compared to some other antivirus programs... Results can be trusted, and that is the important aspect...
Let us know how it all turns out...
and then tell us about the problems you are having... with brand and model

raybay she has 2 antivirus apps installed panda and avg8 this is causing problems off the bat giving false infections.

Removed Panda (I think it was just leftover files, pretty sure I uninstalled it before I installed AVG, could be mistaken though.) and also removed Spybot S&D, as well as AVG.

I ran the Avast Scan, from Boot mode because it found infections in the memory when I tried it in Normal Mode. Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but I deleted the files where an infection was found, because it couldn't repair or quarantine them...

Still can't run Super Anti-Spyware in Normal mode, so I'm running in safe mode. Also, do I need to have it check all files at this point, or is a Quick Scan enough? Last time the Complete Scan w/everything checked took over 12 hours.

It's a Dell Optiplex, 1GhZ processor. I thought it had at least 1 GB RAM (at the very least 512MB) but when I looked the other day in Setup Mode it said I had 256MB X 128MB. Can a virus destroy RAM? Or can it just become damaged over time? I would have thought it would've crashed if something like that happened though. Thanks again for your help.

2nd Set of Logs, Minus MBAM, gives vbalsgrd6.ocx outdated error when run

Hi again.

Forgot to mention, I'm running 40GB HD w/Windows XP, w/the latest updates up until last week.

I'm attaching the logs, as mentioned in subject line, minus MBAM, which gives "vbalsgrd6.ocx outdated error " when I try and run it. (I uninstalled and re-installed, but no difference.)
Computer seems better BUT cannot connect to Internet. Realized Ethernet adapters were disabled, so I enabled them. I can see my network, but I can't connect to it. When I click on Network Connections it says my Network Services are disabled.

I also goofed, I was getting a bit frantic because I couldn't get permissions to enable Windows Firewall, and I DELETED the Windows Firewall entry in my registry, so now that won't work.

Also want to note that I saw a file called reader_s.exe in my task manager, ended the process, and then another one appeared, and also found two entries (which I unclicked) in my Startup entries in MS Config., as well as one called 3Cpipe-USRpda

Please help, I think I'm so close to beating this thing! I'm sure I'll probably have to run Windows to repair it, but still. Oh, and Avast came up clean.

Oh, also, no services seem to be running, they are all disabled, w/no way to enable them, clicking on Enable All in MSCONFIG doesn't even work.

How much free space is available on your hard drive. When you have only 17% left, the drive is full.
You must run your windows disk in repair mode, or reinstall, as yours seems to be too damaged to use..
It would be smart to install a new hard drive, 80 GB or more and just start over. Your system is so messed up, that a complete new install is the best option.
What or who's version of Windows is running... Microsoft, or Dell? Which Service Pack.
What is the Service Tag on the computer, or what version of Optiplex do you have? And how old is the hard drive. If you can, open the computer case and tell us the brand and model of the hard drive.
Do you have valuable files that must be preserved?
Does your computer case have room for a second hard drive?
Do you have the Dell install disk set? If so, what version of Service Pack is listed on the maroon or green install disk?
Which country do you live in? USA or another country?

I don't see any infestation in your logs.
However, for best results, I would use add and remove to delete SpyBot... Tea timer in Spybot will give you problems you do not need.
I would also remove AVG8 usine Add and Remove. Then replace it with AVAST or Avira.
Bottom line: Your operating system has damage, and cannot easily be fixed,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back