Need to find a suitable PSU to fit my HP computer

Waffe

Hello, as you can tell I am pretty new to this. I am attempting to upgrade my current gpu to an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 .
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1463-KR

As recommended I need at least a 450w power supply. Now I wish for something around the ballpark of 500w or so. Something not to pricey. I'm having trouble understanding some things. I need it to be able to fit my case which im unsure of the dimensions. I know the case size I just don't know the size of where the PSU would fit into.

My current computer with specs included from manufactuer website.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03135882#N33

Also its recommended I need 2 pci-e 6 pin connectors.
I'm just confused around all this, I can't seem to find something suitable that would work for my setup and fit inside at the same time.
I need perhaps a good recommendation of a PSU if anyone can help (I don't want to order something that wont fit into my rig).

Thank you for your time.

P.S sorry messed up title, probably confused alot!!!!

It looks like any ATX power supply will fit in there; how much are you looking to spend on one? I can provide specific recommendations based on that.

Also, are you located in the US?

Lastly, any specific reason you're going for an older card rather than one from the current-gen series?

A decent one at perhaps 60$ or so.
And yes I live in the US.
And the reason I chose an older one because it just works for what I needed at the time for the nice cheap price!

Ah, I was under the impression that you were going to buy the card, that's why I asked.

I believe this PSU would do nicely; it's slightly wider (about half an inch or so) than the PSU you currently have, but it should fit. Do a bit of measurement and see if it will to make sure before you buy though.

A locking mechanism you say? I'm pretty sure I looked all over and saw nothing. It felt like it was stuck on something against the other side of the case(opposite of the open portion).

That's a nice PSU as well. :)

The PSU is usually screwed into the case itself; should apply to yours as well, I think.

Agreed, its a nice power supply. I've also changed the thread title, which I hope better reflects the discussion.

A locking mechanism you say? I'm pretty sure I looked all over and saw nothing. It felt like it was stuck on something against the other side of the case(opposite of the open portion).

Many OEM cases use a "tab" on the backplate to hold the power supply in place. Essentially its a raised section cut out of the backplate and holds the PSU in place, even with the screws removed. Usually its located on the underside or reverse of the unit, and just needs to be pushed in, in order to release the PSU.

I did try to find a picture on Google but I've had no luck so far.

Edit: Best I can do is show where it might be (it should be in the area where the right-hand red circle is) in the picture below:

dscn06701.jpg

There maybe a screw or two under the plastic cover on top of the PC. Look for a way to take the plastic top off.

I remember trying to take it out and seing a bump on the opposite side on the botom of the case. When I tried moving it seemes like that would snag it. Maybe thats the tab you speak of? Or maybe just a piece of metal. Also dunno how to take off the top portion of my metal case.Based on this info I think I will delve back in and see if I can get that beast out of there.

Thank you all for the help.(Thanks for the title fix btw). I'm trying to describe my situation the best I can and you have helped me the best you can thus far. Trying to avoid the tech shop xD.

I think I may have found a solution in a video that has a similar case style that of my computer.
There a bit of a bump, I think it's what was holding it in.
Hopefully that will do the trick and I will be able to plug in the badboy and get the cords and stuff in. Then hopefully have room for my geforce card.

Edit: You think the psu I bought came with all the right cords that will apply to my motherboard? I'm unsure.

Aye, he has his thumb on it in the video at 4 mins 7 seconds. That's the bit holding the PSU in place that I was referring to.

The PSU will have the correct connectors, they all conform to the same standard connectors. The only difference between models are usually the number of PCI-express (6 and 8-pin), SATA and Molex power connectors. Your new PSU will also have two 4 pin ATX connectors (which will join together), but you only need to use one of them if your motherboard uses a 4-pin connector. There is two because a lot of higher end motherboards now use two 4-pin connectors side by side on the motherboard.

Replacing it is as simple as removing the old unit and fitting the new and connecting everything back up the same as before.

Good news to hear and less worrying for me!
Lets pray the gfx card will fit in there with it!

Well after frustratingly fiddling with the fat gfc card I got it in. Undid the psu easily knowing of the tab. Only issue was the plugs,they were being difficult and would'nt come out. Barely had any room to fit some of the cords in at first its alittly cloggy but I just shoved most of them to the side away from the fans. All in all mission complete. Thanks for all the help! I will continue using the forum !

What an ordeal! I remember those days well (a month ago) when I had to struggle with crappy OEM cases, like my Dell Dimension 8400, a marvel of contoured plastic with an "innovative" clamshell design, almost no ventilation, and one 66 dB fan to make up fot it. No room for anything. I had to modify the rear panel with a hacksaw to be able to plug the power cord in my 650 watt PSU upgrade. Luckily it worked, because my 20 pin mobo connector was wired to ATX specs, unlike some proprietary Dell boards which aren't, and cause the new power supply to short out the mobo in spectacular fashion! Ah, those were the days.....now I have all brand new enthusiast parts in my Z77 rig and it runs cool and quiet, a beast waiting to pounce on any unsuspecting data you throw at it. And you know what? I'm kinda sad now that there's no more to upgrade..... who am I kidding, I need better fans, a powerful fan controller, faster RAM, a large SSD, sweeter video card......

The gpu wasnt that tight a fit to get in..had to angle it in properly. The only issue I had was all the damn coords flying out the back of it...It was long in the back..and was a couple inches away from the sata plug if I correct(the cd drives). I had to kinda bend a large portion of them and arrange it in a position where I could plug it in. It feels like and looked like a tight squeeze. But I constantly monitor if im overheating or not and if im correct it should be ventilated properly(thank god the case is metal). I downloaded a program called defragler that displays comp temp..at most times im 30-33 c which I think is good..even when my room feels hot. Currently enjoying this beast with borderlands 2, gw2,saints row 3, and soon to be skyrim. None of this would have been possible without this great forum I stumbled upon. Everyone on here sounds like they know exactly what they were talking about and was quick to answering my questions and fears. Putting it together was sorta frustrating...but free...and it felt good in the end. Not adding 50-100$ on top of the already 280$ spending on card and psu. Once again thanks guys huge help and made this guy a happy camper. Keep doing what your doing, there is other people that need this kinda help!!!

Back