Need to select new mobo - and power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings.

I thought I knew something about computers - but my research is proving otherwise. I seem to know enough to get more confused. Hope you can help.

2002 Custom built ATX form, Alabatron motherboard w/AMD Athlon XP 1800 CPU. FRIED IT. Thought power source only problem but replacement did not help and then I noticed bulging capacitors. Figure power took out mobo.

So that's really all I know. I know I need to buy new board - would like to upgrade to a faster AMD processor if possible - but want to be sure I wouldn't need to upgrade anything else. Certainly need new power supply as well.

PROBLEM: I can't figure out what comes WITH a new motherboard. (I am really embarrased.) Does it come with the processor? If not, do I have to get a very specific motherboard to match the processor I want? How do I figure out what motherboard I need to fit my 2 sticks of 256 400 mhz DDR ram, three add-on cd/dvd/cd-r burners, video card, 2.0 USB, etc.

Does the motherboard determine what power source I should buy?

I SHOULD take this to a professional I know, but am stuck with a wounded ego and hope to make myself feel better by doing it myself. I am comfortable installing hardware pieces, just not comfortable knowing how the big picture all fits together.

Would sure appreciate help. Can give all kinds of gory details if they will help.

Thanks.

A motherboard doesn't come with a processor. If you want an AMD processor search for an AMD motherboard. Socket AM2 or AM2+ 64 bit processors and a motherboard that supports AM2 or AM2+ CPU's are good. Just choose a board and processor that suits your budget. If you are in the US you can start looking here http://www.newegg.com and look at the motherboard specs for the type of memory it takes. DDR2 memory may be what you need to get. Everything else may work... A SATA hard drive may be needed too for this upgrade. A good 450 watt power supply should work fine

a motherboard comes with nothing. You will need to buy a PSU (use a psu calculator and add 30% to the results, then buy QUALITY.), a CPU (check the specs on your mobo, RAM (at least 2 GB these days) - ensure to READ the mobo guide first BEFORE buying ram to see the brands and types it will take, and a good graphics card.

Hold on, everybody! A motherboard can actually come with a processor. You buy them in a "bundle" at places like Tiger Direct or Directron. Bundled motherboards and cpus can be a terrific deal. My recommendations go to an ASUS M2A-VM with an Athlon 64 cpu, or an MSI. When buying on a budget, I try to get a motherboard that is around $90 and a CPU that is around $50. ASUS and MSI are both very good. When bundled together, you may be looking at $100 to $125.

You do have to insert the cpu into the motherboard--which is easy because it fits only one way--match the diamond shape on the cpu to the diamond shape on the fixture it fits into.

After that, buy a heatsink to fit over the processor. That's all there is to it.

Boris and Bailey, the feline techies who assist John.

"After that, buy a heatsink to fit over the processor. That's all there is to it"....

Yes John,
I never buy "bundled" CPU and motherboards. So I forgot that you can buy them. I do buy the occasional "barebones" system. Case, power supply and bare motherboard...

So you're a cat lover? I have two, Sasha & Tipper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back