Need Upgrade advice, i7 Vs FX

I have a FX-6300, A lame CPU and am looking to upgrade, I got this last year and bought it full price for 80 dollars. There are some local listings for a i7-4770s for 150 along with a Z97 Msi Krait mobo for 120. Im sure I could get those down as well, What do you guys think?

These are all great ideas, Except your leaving ram out which adds an extra $100. There is a brand new ryzen 1500x for $140 in my area which is great except I don't have the ram!

Like others have said, save your money and upgrade to a newer architecture. You won't regret waiting an extra month or two to save up for the ram. It's better to do that then to settle for older hardware that will force you into an upgrade much much sooner than the newer hardware.

Or just look for a better offer. Sometimes you just don't want to wait. I was in the same boat with a Q9550, P5Q SE2 and 8GB of DDR2 RAM. I found an offer locally here for an i7 3770, DQ77MK motherboard and 8GB of Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM for ~ 150 USD. I ended up selling my Q9550 setup for 60 USD so I ended up paying 90 USD all in. Yes, it's an old Ivy Bridge setup but it was an enormous jump in performance for me and considering I've done 9 years with a Q9550, this i7 3770 will serve me fine for another few years.

Depending on where you are, just keep looking on Craigslist, or look at the pc hardware swap sub on Reddit, etc.

The Ryzen processors are superior to the 1-7s but require extra configuring. Not enough to scare you but they are about the same price range.

Almost every motherboard is enough for that if CPU and video card are good enough.

I wouldn't say every motherboard on the market is vr capable ready, my new msi b250 mobo is vr ready.
My recent gigabyte board was not though as well as my current gtx 750 ti, but I don't care for vr junk so eh. :)
Also vr specs usually fall back down to the gpu, so pretty much having a mobo vr ready and gpu vr capable will allow you to do that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/
Run that test it'll tell you whats up and what you will need to get.

I wouldn't say every motherboard on the market is vr capable ready, my new msi b250 mobo is vr ready.
My recent gigabyte board was not though as well as my current gtx 750 ti, but I don't care for vr junk so eh. :)
Also vr specs usually fall back down to the gpu, so pretty much having a mobo vr ready and gpu vr capable will allow you to do that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/
Run that test it'll tell you whats up and what you will need to get.

Motherboard requirements for VR:

- PCI Express slot, at least x4/x8
- One or two USB 3.0 ports
- Support for fast enough CPU
- Support at least 8GB memory

That's it. So it's somewhat hard to find non-VR capable motherboard if talking about desktop computers.

The Ryzen processors are superior to the 1-7s but require extra configuring. Not enough to scare you but they are about the same price range.

In terms of gaming benchmark, can you please enlighten me as to how and where a Ryzen (5?) beats an i7 4770(k)?
All the benchmarks I've seen indicate the opposite result. Talking generics, as you talk about Ryzen processors as a whole, I don't agree with the statement that Ryzen processors (as a collective) are superior to Intel i7 processors (as an equal collective).

I was referring to the Ryzen 7 not the 5. I only speak from personal experience with the two. We don't have to agree.

In terms of gaming benchmark, can you please enlighten me as to how and where a Ryzen (5?) beats an i7 4770(k)?
All the benchmarks I've seen indicate the opposite result. Talking generics, as you talk about Ryzen processors as a whole, I don't agree with the statement that Ryzen processors (as a collective) are superior to Intel i7 processors (as an equal collective).

Ryzen is better vs LGA11xx CPU's:

- Runs much cooler
- Has much more effective SMT implementation
- Is much cheaper
- Has superior connectivity
- Has much better (supported longer) processor socket
- Offers more cores for same value

LGA11xx CPU's are better vs Ryzen:

- Better support for high speed memory
- Higher clock speed especially when overclocked
- Has slightly better single thread performance per clock
- Has integrated GPU on most models

Overall, it's not really wrong to say Ryzen's are overall better as LGA11xx positives (excluding integrated GPU) are real positives for very few users. So overall for average user Ryzen is probably better choice.

Gaming benchmarks are among worst things to do when evaluation CPU's as 1. benchmarks and gaming are different thing and 2. game code is usually crap and so does not tell much about CPU maximum speed.

The best way to find out what is really good at gaming, download dolphin if you want to.
Finding the iso's for the emulator will be your sole task alone and can't be talked on much general forums.
After having my haswell for nearly a year and then moving on kabylake platform over christmas 2017.
Without a shadow of doubt intel does handle games well, part of it has to do with ipc rates.

With the past few amd chips I've had, I found myself overclocking the chip so it would keep a steady fps rate.
3.6ghz - 4.2ghz maximum so the damn game wouldn't lag much or not at all ?
Soon as got my haswell i5 4570, I didn't experienced much lag at all, maybe pushing it 3.4ghz and it was dandy.
Games like DB Xenoverse 2 or newer they need the cpu horse power, anyone on this forum could tell you that right about now.
When you get sick of overclocking your cpu to keep your games from lagging up you will understand:

Heres a sample of exactly what I mean

Since I have an R5 1600@3.8 and my brother has a 4790k @ 4.5ghz, they are really really close. The 4790@4.5ghz is a tiny bit better at that frequency, but keep in mind that in order for it to get to 4.5 it needed delid and a 90€ cooler (also, an expensive mobo). The R5 1600 gets to 3.8 on the stock cooler on an entry level mobo. So when it comes down to cost vs performance, for the cost of an R5 1600 + mobo you can only get a stock 4770 / 90k. And in that case, gaming benchmarks are split. There are your typical games that work better with faster single thread, like PUBG / Dota 2 / cs go, and then there are other games that favor multiple cores like bf1 multiplayer / ac origins etcetera.

I'd call it a split when it comes to gaming.

Back