Neowin: Brad Wardell talks Start10, the follow-up to the popular Start8 Start menu app

Neowin

Earlier today, Stardock released Start10, a Start menu replacement for Windows 10 and we had a chance to chat with its creator, Brad Wardell about the new application. If you want to learn more about the new app, you can check out our post here.

Start10 follows up on the success of Start8, can you talk a bit about the traction you saw with Start8 and how it influenced Start10?

With Windows 8, Microsoft at first eliminated the Start menu. This was a big problem for both consumers and enterprise customers who wanted a quick, obvious way to get to their documents, images, most used apps and search. Thankfully, Microsoft added the Start button back in Windows 8.1 but it just took users to the start screen which, again, was non-ideal for users to get to their stuff on a desktop.

Start8 was designed to bring the Start menu from Windows 7 to Windows 8 with a refreshed UX to make it match the look and feel of Windows 8.

In Windows 10, the Start menu has returned, why are you building Start10?

Originally, I thought Windows 10 would make a program like Start8 obsolete. Unfortunately, the new "start menu" on Windows 10 is really just a miniature version of the Windows 8 Start screen.

For instance, the search bar is in the taskbar using space all the time. If you search something in it, there's no context menu, no jump lists, no way to go to the directory of the file.

The Start menu itself doesn't allow you to drag and drop things to and from it. It mixes multiple interfaces together in a way that makes getting to desktop related content harder.

Read the complete article here.

Permalink to story.

But does it invalidate any point I made in my comment in the first article?

I think not :) But you should have asked him, Steven ;)

"For instance, the search bar is in the taskbar using space all the time. If you search something in it, there's no context menu, no jump lists, no way to go to the directory of the file."

Frankly, this shows an astounding amount of ignorance from Stardock. Win10 is in tech preview and we know it's not final. Releasing Start10 and using as its justification that, among other things, the search bar is perennially in the desktop is blindingly ignorant. We know newer builds are most likely moving the search box into the start menu again, which wasn't done in time for TP2 as the menu was fully rewritten in XAML and wasn't feature complete. Because this is a PREVIEW.

Stardock is representing opportunism at its best here.

I really think nobody will buy Start 10 to replace menu in Windows 10. For whatever hidden gems it might have, the hassle of spending extra ain't worth it. It was only in Windows 8 where Start8 was indispensable, but that is it.

I really think nobody will buy Start 10 to replace menu in Windows 10. For whatever hidden gems it might have, the hassle of spending extra ain't worth it. It was only in Windows 8 where Start8 was indispensable, but that is it.

I'm running the Windows 10 preview and the "start menu" is total TRASH in it. I will be using some kind of 3rd party program to replace it with unless MS puts some major work into it soon.

Yeah the "new" standard start menu from Microsoft is just another way for them to push the app store at you... Thank you for this Stardock, I will buy this when I install Windows 10.

Yeah, I still think I'm going to fail to replace the start menu in Windows 7 with either the start menu in Windows 10, or it's Stardock equivalent.

We can't ignore the garbage that Microsoft has put in since the 9926 build. Microsoft has made it clear that they will do what they want. They have a vision and they don't give a crap what people find useful or what they want. They had a basic start menu that was a decent compromise between Windows 7 and 8 but they dropped it and went to their current crap. If thats not a sign, then I don't know what is. Opportunistic someone said? Yeah well of course. I don't care what anti-capitalist bullshit attitude anyone has, there is going to be demand for a start menu replacement and those the get their name out their first will be the first to have reputation. If I hadn't wiped my windows 10 off of my computer, I'd be getting start10.

I'm running the Windows 10 preview and the "start menu" is total TRASH in it. I will be using some kind of 3rd party program to replace it with unless MS puts some major work into it soon.

Try classic start menu....free and does a pretty good job...FOR FREE.

Back