Neowin: Corsair Obsidian 550D "quiet" PC case review

Neowin

I'm a huge fan of trying to make my desktop computer as silent as possible, mostly so that it doesn't disturb me in a silent room or disrupt whatever media I may be enjoying. Naturally, I was excited to hear of a case from Corsair that claimed to be made specifically for silent PCs: meet the new Corsair Obsidian 550D.

On initial inspection, the case is not just made to be silent, it also allows for performance and solid cooling where necessary, thanks to several removable panels placed around the body. If you work things just right, you could have quietness where needed but also high airflow cooling when you are pushing the boundaries of your system.

To make the case silent, Corsair has lined some of the case walls with sound-dampening material, as well as including vibration-absorbing silicone fan and drive mounts, plus angled front intakes that supposedly quieten the sound. When you are not using all the fan mounts, the aforementioned removable panels also help keep the sound from escaping out the case.

neowin corsair obsidian review case neowin review 550d

On the performance side there are also a nice number of features: ten 120mm fan mounting points, six of which also support 140mm fans and a spot for a 240mm radiator for liquid cooling; eight rear expansions slots along with liquid cooling tube holes; two USB 3.0 ports on the front panel; six internal 3.5"/2.5" drive bays and four external 5.25" bays.

Read the rest of the review.
This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

Back