Inactive Netbook infected can't download anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Teen's netbook a acer has a virus or something. she can no longer access the internet. either internet explorer or mozilla. they both say cannot display the webpage.

She never downloaded any anti virus or antimalware software. I tried using portable apps to load on her netbook from a thumb drive.

That did not work.

How can I use the thumb drive to download these files to fix her netbook?

Thanks so much

How can I use the thumb drive to download these files to fix her netbook?

Download the programs in the thread below on the flash drive. Then connect to the problem computer, install the program and run the scans. Follow the instructions for saving the logs.

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

There is a very good chance that is system will be too infected to clean and that it may need to be reformatted and the OS reinstalled.

Antivirus programs:
Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
Avira Free
Avast Home

Antimalware programs:All are free:
  • Spywareblaster: SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX. It places kill bits to stop bad Active X controls from being installed. Remember to update it regularly.
  • IE/Spyad This places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts files This replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.

Please reboot the system after the installation is complete.

Chances are good there are no Windows Update either or that Java and the Adobe Reader aren't current, thereby having more vulnerabilities on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back