Network adaptor not able to find any networks

Trivedi

Hi,

I am having issues with network adaptor on my Sony Vaio (Windows Vista). When I try to connect to a network it is not showing any networks in range however I am sitting right next to my wireless router. If use USB Wireless Adaptor dongle it is correctly finding all available networks and I can connect to my network.

I checked in device manager and I can see

Without USB Wireless Adaptor
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

With USB Wireless Adaptor
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter

Not sure if this is due to some loose connection or my network card is not working.

Appreciate if you can help me identify and fix this problem.

Thanks
AT

Yes.

Under other devices, I see 3 Bluetooth Perpheral Devices listed and all three have yellow exclamations.

Go to the Sony Vaio support site and see if you can re-download and install those drivers properly

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I did try to install bluetooth driver from Sony Support website but when I try to install the driver I get message "This driver can only be installed on Windows Vista". I am trying to install it on Vista. I tried installing by running as administrator but still got the same message and have downloaded driver for the same model I have.

Is Windows fully updated using Windows Update manually till no more updates are found? Including all the optional updates? Sometimes Windows Update will install missing drivers

Yes windows is fully updated including all optional updates. I figured that bluetooth peripheral device is nothing but my iphone. This device got added after I tried to connect my laptop to my iphone and it is there since 3 years now and there is no driver per se for this device.

Focus on one issue at a time - - the bluetooth marks are driver issues, but that has nothing to do with your title of this thread
or the inability to use the onboard Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN device.

I recall that the Sony Vaio is a laptop - - did you turn on this adaptor manually? Most laptops have a slide switch on the case or
like my Dell, an Fkey (in my case) F2 to toggle it on/off.

Hi Jobeard,

I am simply responding to questions asked to me earlier. I still have issue with network adaptor and yes the wifi switch is on.I am able to connect to network using USB wireless dongle but not with the built in wireless network adaptor.

I have tried re-installing drivers from Sony eSupport website for wireless device and that has not helped.

Jobeard, I don't like to see any yellow exclamation points in a device manager ever. I have also seen Bluetooth wireless adapters, so I was just starting at that point...

Trivedi, have you gone to your cell phone provider to look for computer drivers so your phone can connect to the laptop properly. I use a USB to cell phone adapter. It's the same cable I use to charge my HTC Smart Phone. Looks like your Sony laptop has no Bluetooth capability so have you tried using a USB attachment? As far as the internal wireless adapter, if you have no switch or keypress to activate or deactivate wireless communication (almost all laptops have this somewhere) you will have to use the external wireless adapter

Tmagic,

Yes and I was not able to find any specific drivers. However, I am able to connect, access and charge my cell phone using USB cable. I am able to connect to my cell phone using bluetooth as well.

Regarding internet wireless adaptor, as mentioned in my response to Jobeard, I do have a switch and that is on. And I also verified that the switch is working. How I verified.

1. Connect USB Wireless adaptor. Connect to network and check if I can open any websites with wireless switch ON.
Result: I can browse normally

2. Connect USB Wireless adaptor. Connect to network and check if I can open any websites with wireless switch OFF.
Result: Not internet connection.

3. Turn Wireless Switch ON again
Result: I can browse normally

When I remove USB wireless adaptor and try to connect to network using my laptops wireless adaptor,

1. I am not connected
2. When I go to connect to networks, no networks are shown.

When I connect USB wireless adaptor and try to connect to network using USB wireless adaptor,

1. I am connected
2. When I go to connect/disconnect to networks, 12 networks are shown.

If I may add to this topic.... I vaguely recall a similar situation in the past where no networks shown was due (if I recall correctly) to the wrong wireless manager s/w configured for the adapter. Suggest a couple things
1. List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
2. When you use the internal Wifi adapter, can you tell if it's the Windows wireless manager OR the Intel ProSet wireless manager being used to display open networks?
3. Look at the Intel Support page for your adapter HERE. Look through Intel's troubleshooting topics

Problem Devices:

Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{00000000-DECA-FADE-DECA-DEAFDECACAFE}_VID&000205AC_PID&1294\7&1D543700&0&0026087D3878_C00000000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{00000000-DECA-FADE-DECA-DEAFDECACAFE}_VID&000205AC_PID&12A8\7&1D543700&0&5426964FFA24_C00000000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{00001132-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB}_VID&000205AC_PID&12A8\7&1D543700&0&5426964FFA24_C00000000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter ROOT\NET\0000 This device is disabled.
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2 ROOT\NET\0001 This device is disabled.

First 3 devices, I am not getting drivers to install (these are for iphone) and I can connect my phone to my laptop.

2. Windows wireless manager is used.

Thanks. The link is for Windows XP, I have Windows Vista installed.

One more thing, I have never used Intel wifi manager on this laptop ever since the day I bought it. I have always used windows manager.

However I tried to check statistics using my Intel PROSet Wireless Tools and there it was showing as disconnected.
I am connected using external USB wireless adaptor. I removed it and then tried to run diagnosis using Intel PROset Wireless tool and it failed Scan Test. I tried troubleshooting steps from page that popped up on clicking troubleshooting and it didn't work.

Well, since you had Intel ProSet disabled I would've thought it should be OK for the Intel adapter to work with Windows wireless mgr.

Did the internal net adapter EVER seem to work/show wireless networks?

All that said, here's something you could try (if you want). The idea being to try running the Intel adapter work with Intel ProSet without Microsoft wireless involved in any way. I assume your Ethernet adapter works when you have no wireless right. Following instructions will need it.

1. Remove the USB adapter. Disable Window wireless mgr but right click Computer->Manage->Services. Scroll to Wireless Zero Configuration, click Properties, set Startup Type=Disabled. Reboot

2. Go to CtlPnl->Programs and Features and uninstall the Intel Wireless driver from there. (don't know if Proset would have it's own entry, so check for both). This should fully uninstall the Intel driver software.

3. Go Intel Driver Update Tool. Let Intel detect and install the latest Intel s/w. Then try using ProSet with the adapter.

Back