Network Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptim

I'm have some minor issues with my wifi router, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G2, I upgraded the firmware, it doesnt seem to be any better, would a better Network Card help. I'm pretty sure I have a intergrated NIC now.

I'm not too clear on your problem. I have the same router and it works great. Are you able to connect to the internet at all? If not, it's quite possible that your NIC is defective in which case you'll need to purchase a new ethernet card. Have you tried upgrading the software for your NIC?

I'm not too clear on your problem. I have the same router and it works great. Are you able to connect to the internet at all? If not, it's quite possible that your NIC is defective in which case you'll need to purchase a new ethernet card. Have you tried upgrading the software for your NIC?

Yes, I can connect to the internet, ever since I started using it, pages load slower, when posting to a forum site, it just sits without posting, which gets annoying. Plus it drops the connection, not a lot, but more times than I care for.

I was thinking about moving up to a Gigabit NIC.

unless your router supports gigbit, it is futile and frequently causes regression.

So many internet provider have adjusted their delivery services so that systems slow down at certain times... you might keep some tabs on when it is slow, then see if it is faster at a variety of other times. The bad times for us, county wide, are between 7a and 9a, 1p to 2p, 5:30p to 7:30p... and almost any time on Saturday. But I understand it varies from one locale to another.

Also, some connections at 1.5 gpbs and 4 gbps were a lot faster than advertised. Now the providers have systems that automatically gear down the connection speeds to a bit below what you are paying for. If you don't complain, they keep on doing it.

Using Speedtest will verify when and if it is slow,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back