Network connections issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I'm having a problem with my HP Pavilion dv1000 ladtop. Recently I am unable to go onto the internet. I called my DSL provider (Version) and they took me through some steps and told me my IP address is invalid as it starts with a 169, she also told me that my built in wireless card may be broken, so I went to Best Buy and bought a Belkin wireless usb card and Im still having the same problem. My DSL is fine because I have two other computers one which is a desktop and another is a ladtop. What really confuses me is that my ladtop picks up the DSL signal and says its signal strength is 100 but Im still unable to go on the internet. In my command prompt, their is nothing next to my default gateway, im not sure if their is or isnt suppose to be some number their. I also tried the ipconfig/renew and reset method and it keeps saying when I do

ipconfig/renew:No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 3 while it has its media dissconnected. An error occured while renewing interface DSL: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

ipconfig/release:Says the samething no operation can be performed as well as
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:

And Im running Windows XP Home Edition.

I hope anyone on the forum could help me.

Thank You

Hey man thanks alot, I tried your second option and Im able to get on the internet. But I was reading the rest of the thread and CCT said something about each time you renew drivers for your adapter you need to make a NEW shortcut, Im not sure what that means, Im not much of a computer person, do I have to worry about my internet going off and on and would have to do this process again??? But thanks alot for helping, you dont understand how close I was to throwing the ladtop in the trash
Thank You

Glad I could help. You should be alright, but if any problem arises, just make a post, and someone will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back