Network drives disabled

Hello there, I work at a school network and plug all my computers out the wall sockets at night because we have lightning storms. It seems even though we did this, our network connections are scrambled and one of our stand alone computers doesn't work. The power button is on, but no one is home. How can this be if the plugs were all pluged out. Also, what can be done to re-establish the connection?

Hi Samantha :wave:

Welcome to
logo-rss.png
:grinthumb
Mailpup may move your post to the most appropriate forum.
These follow is helpful advice which was once offered to me, and which I now offer to newcomers.

You may find these to be helpful links...

How to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.
System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

Other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

plug all my computers out the wall sockets at night
If you're referring to the network cables --
suggestion: disconnect the router from the modem and leave all the systems connected to the router. Typically a network looks like
Code:
ISP<==>modem---router---local lan systems
The Mapped Network Drives will still be retained (as the server is still online) and only access to the ISP will be broken. In the morning, reconnect the modem<->router and in 30secs, all systems will be on-line with the Internet.​

HOWEVER, if your concern is lightining strikes causing spikes or outages from the power,
then
  1. get UPS devices for each classroom
  2. or power off each system (disconnect is not necessary once powered off )

When you create the Mapped Drives, be sure to [x] reconnect at logon AND
make sure the server(s) [ie: the systems with the shares that are the target of the mappings] are restarted first.

Hi Samantha

Jobeard is great with Network issues: I have turned to him for guidance more than once!
So, you are in good hands!

I would like to offer some observations he did not mention, and offer some diagnostic questions.

plug all my computers out the wall sockets at night because we have lightning storms.
It seems even though we did this, our network connections are scrambled
and one of our stand alone computers doesn't work.
The power button is on, but no one is home.
How can this be if the plugs were all pluged out.
Also, what can be done to re-establish the connection?

It seems to me, you may be saying that one of the computers will not even boot?
If the rest of your network is up and running, it looks like this computer may have failed.

First disconnect this machine (nobody home) from the rest of the network, by unplugging the network cable at the back of the computer.
Next...
  • Is the monitor turned on?
    Was it unplugged from the power source during the storm?
    Is the monitor connector securely attached at the computer? What about at the monitor?
  • Are there any lights on the computer (power or drive activity lights) when you try to power on?
    Are there any beeps at power-on?
    Some systems have some lights on the back of the machine that offer trouble shooting codes. Does yours?
  • Have you double-checked to make sure there is power at the wall? (where you plug this computer in; it may be a bad outlet)
    Have you double-checked to make sure the power cord has not come loose at the computer end? (also at the monitor)
  • Have you tried all of this with the computer disconnected from all peripherals? (scanners/printers, router, etc)
  • As the system tries to start, do you see anything on your monitor at all?
If you get it to boot while disconnected from the network, then turn it off, and reconnect your network cable and try again.
Please let us know your results.

If all of this is too basic, please forgive the interruption.
As I read your question, it simply occurred to me that you may have something more basic at issue than your network connections.

Hello there, I work at a school network and plug all my computers out the wall sockets at night because we have lightning storms. It seems even though we did this, our network connections are scrambled and one of our stand alone computers doesn't work. The power button is on, but no one is home. How can this be if the plugs were all pluged out. Also, what can be done to re-establish the connection?

I've seen this happen to a serveral corporate training rooms. Yes you need to invest in APC Back-UPS ES 550 they look this: (Note there are larger ones also. This is just example of mid-size one with battery backup.

9307788_rb.jpg

Two or more PCs can be hooked to one. When the power goes off the devices are still running. Make sure your server, switches, an anything that is used on the network gets one.

As for mapping network drives. You should have profiles for by department needs for accessing certain shared folders and drives. Are you on AD Active Directory? If not you can find some free scripts that you can program and use to load prior to the student, teacher an etc loads into your school network.

Lightning Taking out network

Hello All,

Thank you for the response. I am by no means qualified in with anything related to networking.

My problem is that I struggle around without any knowledge. Can someone recommend a good hands on book to help me with connecting computers to a network, mapping network drives and managing a server.

I reloaded the drivers for the servers Network card and now I can at least see the shared drives. However, my clients cannot access the network drives or log on. I can only log on using the PC Administrator Account.

How can I get the computers to be networked again. Please give me the absolute *****s version.

Thank you so much. Love this forum.

First lesson: work on only one system and get that working correctly. The final solution can then be replicated/configured into the others. :)

From your description, it would appear that your issue is getting File/Print Sharing from the client systems to your common "server" (or that system which contain the Shared Folders).

Google windows File Print Sharing. XP, Vista & Win/7 have slight variations, but this will point you in the right direction.

Back