Networking Fix

TechSane

An opened discussion, feel free to share your thoughts!!!

I have 2 ISPs each of them with separate routers

Router 1 : 192.168.0.1 : ISP 1
Router 2 : 192.168.1.1 : ISP 2

I have this connected to a D-link switch. From the switch I have 14 systems connected. via lan .

I have 10 systems on ISP 1 and 4 systems on ISP 2 (all with static Ips)

Among these 10 systems I have 3 that are working on the ISP 2 DNS and the rest on ISP 1 DNS.

Question: how do I get all the 10 systems on the same DNS in spite of assigning them with the same DNS.

Note I have also assigned the advanced IP with 192.168.1.1 .

Tricky but not sure if this is clear enough.

Share your thoughts.

First you cable the two routers together LAN-LAN.
Then You need a persistent route from one -> two and another from two -> one.

The systems I have are all Dell running windows 7 (connected via Lan)
24 port switch - D-link
isp 1 - connected to Tenda AC 1200 - router
isp 2 - connected via modem/router provied by ISP (Technicolor TC7200.D1)

The systems I have are all Dell running windows 7 (connected via Lan)
24 port switch - D-link
isp 1 - connected to Tenda AC 1200 - router
isp 2 - connected via modem/router provied by ISP (Technicolor TC7200.D1)

Code:
   Tenda AC120    --+
                    |
           24 port switch --- all existing devices....
                |
   Tech TC200 -+
The above wiring will make all devices visible from both ISPs (assuming this is what) you want. No device will be isolated from any other. To make it route correctly you need a persistent route inside each router.

Is this what you want?

Code:
   Tenda AC120    --+
                    |
           24 port switch --- all existing devices....
                |
   Tech TC200 -+
The above wiring will make all devices visible from both ISPs (assuming this is what) you want. No device will be isolated from any other. To make it route correctly you need a persistent route inside each router.

Is this what you want?
I'm able to view both ISPs with out any issues. But I guess I know what the issue is :) will get this worked on. The weekend research and development helps :)

The issue will be letting all devices see each other from a system NOT attached directly to the switch; eg
pc(192.168.0.10) <----> (192.168.1.10)pc

Yup got this fixed, thank you for your support. Your thoughts did assist me in getting this fixed. Thanks again... cheers .

With two ISPs, you might think your getting better bandwidth -- but that's unlikely. Your setup will create a more reliable network.

The issue will be how DHCP assigns the TCP configuration for each device -- OR how you manually configured them.

Everyone always wants the best network performance, but seldom do the actually need a better performing network that joe_average.

SO: what's your strategy for placing systems on ISP#1 vs ISP#2 ?

With two ISPs, you might think your getting better bandwidth -- but that's unlikely. Your setup will create a more reliable network.

The issue will be how DHCP assigns the TCP configuration for each device -- OR how you manually configured them.

Everyone always wants the best network performance, but seldom do the actually need a better performing network that joe_average.

SO: what's your strategy for placing systems on ISP#1 vs ISP#2 ?

Good question: to balance the bandwidth.... Since ISP#1 gives us a good bandwidth but use this for heavy load devices like the servers, etc's ISP#2 gives us a good bandwidth but when over loaded we get frequent disconnection and the net speed reduces.

So I have balanced the network out between ISP#1 and ISP#2 which gives us a smooth flow and have got them to communicate with one another through LAN.

I guess then you're manually configuring the client IP configurations...

Use ROUTE PRINT to see your default (gateway) link: mine shows
Code:
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1      192.168.0.5   2984
## the router is at 0.1 and the pc nic at 0.5 in this case
That last number is a 'logical cost'
If you add a second default for the subnet that gets overloaded, eg:
Code:
Route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.0.X 3000
the 3000 (higher that whatever the existing cost is, aka 2984)
will allow packets thru to your other ISP (192.168.1.1) as needed

If you add a second default for the subnet that gets overloaded, eg:
Code:
Route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.0.X 3000

the 3000 (higher that whatever the existing cost is, aka 2984)
will allow packets thru to your other ISP (192.168.1.1) as needed

This is exactly what happened... But after creating a clear path between both ISPs and registering the MAC address of each system that is required to be used form their specific ISPs . That helped clear any overload of the second ISP.

OK, you've done an excellent job in this configuration - - one last test.
First disconnect ISP#1 from the switch and verify ALL devices still have internet access.

Then restore ISP#1 and disconnect ISP#2 from the switch and repeat.

ANY failure(s) is resolve with persistent routing.

Thank you!!!

Disconnected ISP#1 from switch and I have devices working that is connected to ISP#2 and vice versa !!!

Back