Networking: SBG900 Wireless SURFboard Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a network setup in my home connected through a wired NR041 linksys router to a SBG900 Wireless SURFboard Gateway (which is the one that has the internet connection). Now, everything works fine having set up a static ip configuration with 3 desktop PC's connected through the router.

Now since I just got this Wireless Gateway and I'm completly new to Wireless, I had trouble trying to configure a network in which an extra laptop could access my current wired LAN through the Gateway (if that is even possible) wirelessly. I could access my Gateway configuration page and I see it has a LAN feature. (the laptop and all the wired computers in the LAN could access the internet, just no access to the laptop outside the Router though).

What I want to know is how can I set up a network like that (if it's even possible). Having my wired LAN connected through a NR041 Linksys Router to Gateway, and then any extra wireless PC/Laptop being able to access that LAN through the Gateway.

Or (which i have been thinking of) how do I make the Gateway my "primary LAN" and have the Linksys router connect to it so outside wireless computers can access the computers on the Router through the Gateway.

The network would seem something like this

Wireless Gateway Access =======> Linksys Router ======> Computers in Wired LAN
.............||.................................................../\
.............||...................................................||
.............||...................................................||
.............\/..................................................||....Access to the Router Wired LAN
Wireless computers==================||

Hope its comprehensive enough. Thanks for your time!

I believe you want something like as follows

........... (1 WAN Cable).......................(1 LAN cable)................................(1 LAN Cable per computer)
WAN <=============>SBG900 <=============> LINKSYS <==========> LAN Computers
.........................................."
.........................................."
..........................................v
.............................Wireless Computers

where you configure
=> EITHER the SBG900 or the LINKSYS to act as your LAN router
=> the OTHER to simply pass along LAN data to other devices connected to it

SBG900 continues to provide the cable modem + wireless interface in either case. You determine who you want to provide that 3rd function of LAN router (and configure the SBG900 and LINKSYS to behave that way)
(e.g. if LINKSYS doesn't do any routing it's just as tho all LAN computers had their LAN cable connection to the SBG900)

See page 8 of the SBG900 quick install guide as an example

Thanks for the quick response!
I get what you're saying. Now to set my Router to work only as a Router and not a gateway, should I do it in the first pic? or the second (as in the attached pictures)?... Sorry I've never done this before.

Sorry if this sounds like kind of a "I want you to fix it for me" way, it's just that I'm not able to do tests on myself at the moment since I'm not at my place yet so I just wanted to get an idea before going with zero knowledge about it. Thanks!

Attachments

• dynamicrouting.JPG
    dynamicrouting.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back