Neurologists: Apple is like a religion

Emil

Staff

UK neuroscientists have found that Apple imagery activates the same parts of the brain in Apple fanboys that religious imagery does in followers of that religion. In heated arguments on the Internet, some users sometimes say that Apple is like a cult, and it seems there might be at least some truth to that.

A recent BBC TV documentary, Secrets of the Superbrands, looked at why technology brands have become so popular. The first episode was focused on Apple, but it will move on to other companies, like Twitter, Facebook, and possibly even Microsoft and Google.

Alex Brooks, the editor of World of Apple, is a self-described Apple evangelist. The researchers gave him an MRI and studied his brain to see how it reacted when he was shown images of Apple and non-Apple products. When images of Apple products were displayed in front of him, his brain reacted the same way a religious follower's brain reacts when they are shown imagery associated with their religion.

Right now, this phenomenon has only been confirmed for the Apple brand. It's very possible that when any person shows incredible loyalty to a brand to the point of devotion, seeing related images will also stimulate the same parts of their brain.

Does this mean that being a crazed fanboy is similar to being a religious fanatic? Maybe. I would say it's too early to tell, but there is probably a correlation between buying products just because they come from a given company and accepting everything a given group tells you as fact because you've declared your faith to it.

Permalink to story.

Man...I have years trying to prove that...thanks!!! how do i join the research team?

I suspect most other big/popular brands will have a similar result, but trying this out with Apple first is both appropriate, and funny. :)

I went to best buy the other day to test out the xoom/iPad2. I told my mother "Apple products dont intrigue me." so she is like apple products are best and only smart people use them.

/sigh society

Now we have the answer of why ppl go against logic and support shitty things, they disrupted the diversity transforming it into mind control LOL... true but i knew it...weak minds

and you think PC advocates are any different LOL, ROF - - just look at the zealous fervor here at TS.

@guest ::
so she is like apple products are best and only smart people use them.
Mother almost had it right

"smart people use whatever is in front of them and available to do the job"

ps: now watch the fur fly :giggle:

Serious? naa - - just making the point that frequently zealots revert to calling the kettle black when what we need is tolerance and free choice :)

I believe it. As someone who has run several computing depts in at a very large University the fervor in which Apple users speak about their products and slander others is beyond compare. I have always compared many of their users to a cult.

For the record I support 5000 users and of them about 700 apple users and there is no comparison the Apple users are the most vocal individuals I have ever had the pleasure/displeasure to serve.

Apple is a brand, like any other. Part of being a brand is that people who are loyal to the brand irrationally consider their products better. This should be news to nobody that both religious fanatics and Apple fanatics use the same parts of their brains to not think.

what in Apples name errr in Gods name is this?!? How can you compare that stuff I really don't get. If apple stops making good products it will eventually get dumped. People then will seek new cults. Oh right I get it now you're right.

If you think this is interesting you should read, 'The Religion of Technology' by David Nobel, an excellent book in this field.

Apple is a brand, like any other. Part of being a brand is that people who are loyal to the brand irrationally consider their products better. This should be news to nobody that both religious fanatics and Apple fanatics use the same parts of their brains to not think.
Now, now, we'll have no more blasphemy from you. And in the future, I expect you'll address Mr. Jobs as, "Your Most App-Holiest"!

madboyv1 said:
I suspect most other big/popular brands will have a similar result, but trying this out with Apple first is both appropriate, and funny. :)

You'll get this in almost any field. I work with people who seem to believe Snap-On tools are forged from the bones of Christ. Or, Harley Davidson riders.

Apple is the tech crowd's 'Harley'. You buy into the 'lifestyle.' And even though Apple products are so ubiquitous, their owners believe they have something very personalized and different from everyone else.

captaincranky said:
Now, now, we'll have no more blasphemy from you. And in the future, I expect you'll address Mr. Jobs as, "Your Most App-Holiest"!

Amusingly enough, I'm actually an Apple user myself, and have been all my life. I just recognize that my enjoyment comes largely from the software and support ends, rather than the hardware ends. The fact that Apple's machines are so damn pretty is nothing but a bonus.

Amusingly enough, I'm actually an Apple user myself, and have been all my life. I just recognize that my enjoyment comes largely from the software and support ends, rather than the hardware ends. The fact that Apple's machines are so damn pretty is nothing but a bonus.
I think they should release the Apple logo as s silver pendant.

Now focus on the swinging Apple, and start counting backward from a hundred. You are getting hungry, hungry, hungry for Apple's next product. When I snap my fingers, you'll wake feeling refreshed, and go stand in line and wait for it.

If you didn't get the message, it's because I was holding the pendant wrong. In the trade it's called, "hypno-dropout".

Awesome, now Mac Fa... Cult Boys will be mad for a time and will start blocking streets and yell white power :\

captaincranky said:
I think they should release the Apple logo as s silver pendant.

Now focus on the swinging Apple, and start counting backward from a hundred. You are getting hungry, hungry, hungry for Apple's next product. When I snap my fingers, you'll wake feeling refreshed, and go stand in line and wait for it.

If you didn't get the message, it's because I was holding the pendant wrong. In the trade it's called, "hypno-dropout".

Please no. People would actually start wearing it as bling.

I'm so busy watching Senna, that I am not bothered about it; beside I don't want to attract herds of iSheeps distracting me from what I am doing :D

You should not buy the $20 knock off brand bible. Instead buy our $2000 bible that is exactly the same just with an Apple logo on it.

captaincranky said:

"Your Most App-Holiest"

Haha, ok, seriously, who didn't laugh at this?

It all started in 1984 when Apple introduced the Macintosh to the world... in a commercial featuring a spoof on the movie 1984. (google 'apple 1984 commercial')

How prophetic. haha

Back