New ~£400 gaming PC

That's not very good value for £380, it doesn't even come with Windows. You'll get a much better system if you're willing to build it yourself, what's your budget?

The FX-4170 is not going to be good enough for video editing/encoding, it's not even a real quad core processor. For gaming you should be looking at a 6850/6870 or GTX 650 to play at medium/high settings.

Thanks for the reply, my budget is very low, I hope to keep it at around £400, excluding and OS. I am eligible for the windows 8 proffessional for £15 offer so will purchase that when it comes out.

CPU - Phenom II X4 965 OR AMD FX 6100
Mobo - Gigabyte GA 970A DS3
GPU - Powercolor Radeon HD 6870
PSU - Corsair 600CX
RAM - GSkill 2x2GB
Case - Antec 300
HDD - Seagate 500GB

Would set you back approximately £425 from ebuyer.com.

That doesn't sound too bad to be honest with you! Thank you! I'll look at them in more detail over the next few days. Out of interest, why is the FX not truly a quad-core proccessor?

Well, simply put, the FX 4100 uses two AMD Bulldozer modules, each of which has 2 cores sharing resources.

What Ritwik suggested is a decent build for your budget, except I'd go with 8GB of RAM which is only £10 more than 4GB.

Ritwik's build is pretty good.

I propose an alternative one which is similar, but with a beefier video card and with a price tag of about 45 quid more:
screenshot20121006at247.png

Back