New 250Gb showing 137Gb on a Dell 1100 bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code Butcher

I had a password locked HD(30Gb), that I finally gave up on. I purchased a 250Gb replacement drive. When I go into the bios to check to see if the system detects it, it show 137Gb, when it did not show anything with the locked HD. I also check to see if there was a bios update, but there was none, just the same as what's already on my 1100. I thought I'd try to use the new drive, while I wait for another replacement, it started to format at 250Gb.

I just wondering why it shows 137Gb. I know this is an issue with some older bios and P3 systems, but I did not expect it with a P4 system.

Anyone else experience this? Any problems if I keep the 250Gb installed, or should I order a 120Gb.

TIA

CB

Usually this problem is caused by formatting the drive with a verision of Windows XP that has no Service Pack, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 1a. None of those will format higher than 137 GB.
If you switch to an install disk with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3, you can format up to 1.5 Terrabytes without problems.
Alternately, once you format at 137 GB, use a partition editor such as Ghost, Partition Magic, Source Forge, or Acronis (I recommend Acronis)... to extend the partition to the full size of the hard drive.
Either way, you have a cost.

Strange that it is the limit of the Windows that is NOT service pack 2. When you click on System in the Control Panel, and look at System Properties, does it specifically list Service Pack 2 or 3?,, and not SP 1 or 1a? We have seen that mislabeling before.
Otherwise, it must be a hard drive error. I would remove the partition and reinstall it from scratch to see if it finds the rest of the drive. If not, I would contact the manufacturer of the drive. Because what it shows is what you get... less drive than you paid for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back