New altruism-focused social network promises to remove "sh*tty users"

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Social networks don't have the best reputation when it comes to being friendly, non-toxic, altruistic platforms. But technologist and serial entrepreneur Robert Weiss is launching a competitor that he says ticks all those boxes. He also warned that Roar Social is prepared to kick off hundreds or even thousands of "sh*tty" users.

Roar Social reimagines social media as a force for good, states the press release, which isn't something usually associated with the likes of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

The platform's philanthropic nature works by utilizing the same type of viral content – from creators and users - and engagement found on rival social media sites. It features what Weiss calls "gamified giving." Instead of having a Like or Heart button, there will be a 'Give' option under a post. This allows users to make micro-donations as small as one cent that will go to pre-selected good causes such as homelessness and climate change.

"Because of the hot mess that is legacy social media, I believe there's a real opportunity for disruption," Weiss said. "The idea is marrying engagement with social impact."

"Future generations will be amazed that social media was purely for profit, that it didn't incorporate social impact giving into its very core."

Roar Social has raised $10 million in seed funding, and its advisory board includes MTV creator John A. Lack and the ex-CEO of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, so there are some big names involved. It has also secured product and engineering talent from Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and LinkedIn.

Every social media platform has a percentage of users who are there just to troll others and cause problems, but Weiss says he is prepared to kick off hundreds or thousands of people if necessary. "I don't want to have shitty users," he said, via Insider, "and by shitty users I mean people who are gonna be disruptive and who are gonna come on the platform and create havoc. So I want the right users and to get the right users, you need to be a little patient."

Weiss believes it is likely that other social media companies could try and copy this altruistic approach, but they won't succeed due to their existing problems.

"Nothing is stopping McDonald's from selling filet mignon," he said, "they could do it well, they could do it cheaply, but no one's really gonna go to McDonald's to buy the filet mignon. I'm betting that if you're between 16 and 36 and you want to use your creator superpowers for good, you are not gonna be doing that on legacy platforms."

Roar Social will have a challenging time competing with the likes of Facebook/Instagram owner Meta Platforms, which has a near three-quarters of a billion-dollar market cap, especially when Weiss isn't focusing on profit and already threatening to kick off thousands of users. However, the idea of a feel-good social network will likely appeal to a lot of people disillusioned with the toxicity of popular platforms.

Interested users can now sign up for VIP early access to the Beta release of Roar Social, which launches on Apple's App Store this summer.

Permalink to story.

If you come down a little bit, to a land called Brazil, you'll discover 99% of people consider themselves non-toxic person, due the fact they serve one great leader called Jair Messias Bolsonaro. This very Jair is responsible for the death of more than 700 thousand lives during the covid event. He always acted as another great person, completely non-toxic, tremendous guy, mr. Donald Trump. What a great public to make part of ROAR SOCIAL.

Why are new social media platforms being churned out everywhere these days? You can't dethrone a giant platform by having a bunch of small ones competing for users and then eventually fail because of fragmentation.

"social media as a force for good, states the press release, which isn't something usually associated with the likes of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram."

If you want a force for good then you must allow dissenting views...Which those three do not and I might name one other but won't

Lol, and which paragon of virtue will choose who stays and who goes? Sounds like it'll be yet another echo chamber, but without the heir of neutrality...
Probably those who follow MAGA conspiracy will be considered tremendous people.

I love to see how this pans out. Bring back the good old ban hammer!

Disagreements are unavoidable though, so the question is how many people with good intentions but strong opinions will be axed.
I know a lot of moderators feel like they're gods, deciding who will and won't stay on their platform and it's just all too easy to ban someone who does not necessarily share your opinion. This amount of power is inevitably going to get to someone's head. Users will get banned even if they are not personally insulting anyone or are out to cause havoc.
I've seen it happen to many people that engage in perfectly reasonable discussions with ideas that oppose those of long time, established fanatic forum users. They feel threatened and then users get banned. You're left with a hierarchical community where people just tag along with the fanatics and people with unpopular ideas are shunned.

So this might just become a closed community for very specific people, but we'll see how it goes. It all depends on the leadership of the moderators. And unbiased moderation is extremely rare. Good luck! You need smart and emotionally intelligent people at the top, but those might be just the people to avoid these kinds of platforms ;]

*and an afterthought: "people who are gonna come on the platform and create havoc". What exactly is the definition of that? People who ask questions? People who poke holes in someone's argumentation? People who engage in constructive criticism? Because that seems to be the standard on most forums to get banned. It is my opinion that most discussions on the internet are very dumb. Is saying something like this going to get me banned?

Last edited:
"Every social media platform has a percentage of users who are there just to troll others and cause problems, but Weiss says he is prepared to kick off hundreds or thousands of people if necessary. "I don't want to have shitty users," he said, via Insider, "and by shitty users I mean people who are gonna be disruptive and who are gonna come on the platform and create havoc. So I want the right users and to get the right users, you need to be a little patient.""

Nothing wrong with removing trolls (or bots)or those who create havoc.

You all know who you are!! lol

If you come down a little bit, to a land called Brazil, you'll discover 99% of people consider themselves non-toxic person, due the fact they serve one great leader called Jair Messias Bolsonaro. This very Jair is responsible for the death of more than 700 thousand lives during the covid event. He always acted as another great person, completely non-toxic, tremendous guy, mr. Donald Trump. What a great public to make part of ROAR SOCIAL.
Not sure what this has to do anything but an excuse to complain about someone else’s politics that no one here cares about.

I'm sure the 5,000 to 10,000 groomed users that try and stick around that place will love it. Mean while in the real world where trolls and undesirable people exsist will be everyone else.

Back