New build ~ 9-7-10

prinler

Hey guys! I just wanted to get some advice on some hardware for a new build im doing for a customer of mine. I have been having issues with the products i purchased to i am sending them back. Let me link what i purchased.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BL3KIT25664BN1337
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
ASUS P5P43TD/USB3 LGA 775 Intel P43 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Everything looked fine but upon installation i had huge issues with stability. Ram was bad, mem was bad, HD clicking, video card stopped working, motherboard causing BSOD!..... Im now sending everything back. The motherboard and the video card, i read after i purchased it, has horrible reviews so i asked for a refund. The rest is going to be replaced.

I need a good motherboard very close to the same price of the original one. I prefer Asus or Abit but will take a look at what ever you show me. Ram compatibility is a must.

I need a good video card. I prefer Nvidia and EVGA for the warranties(usually lifetime) Will look at anything you think is best. The customer plays games. COD, WOW, MW2.... so i need something decent.

Hope to hear from yall soon!

Steve

Ah, I cheat and often use Tiger Direct's mother-board and RAM configurator web page. lol

From time to time I also use Cyber Power's custom configuration page for inspiration.

All those parts should be perfectly fine for your build although personally I wouldn't buy Rosewill parts. I'm not sure how to explain all the issues you've had. I've never heard of so many parts being bad at one time. Maybe it was the PSU or motherboard.

what a nightmare huh? Its one of those parts. I just dont have the stuff to try every combination. I cant risk sticking a customer with a sub quality part. I know i should have not been stingy on the motherboard but I was trying to make some profit :( I have a P5Q3 and LOOOOOVE IT! To bad they change things so fast.

Any suggestions guys on mobos's and vid cards?

Can you specify what parts you're replacing? We'd be better equipped to give you suggestions that way; I see a lot of parts that have better alternatives available. Also, please mention a total budget, and whether an OS & monitor are included in the budget or not.

"I need a good motherboard very close to the same price of the original one. I prefer Asus or Abit but will take a look at what ever you show me. Ram compatibility is a must.

I need a good video card. I prefer Nvidia and EVGA for the warranties(usually lifetime) Will look at anything you think is best. The customer plays games. COD, WOW, MW2.... so i need something decent. " Prinler

$90ish for Motherboard
$191ish for Video card

I have the 6GB of crucial Balistix ddr3 ram being replaced so the board has to work with that ram.

Rage read the first post please.

I did, but IMHO, I can think of alternatives for everything you've chosen, and what exactly do you mean by "replacing everything else"?

In any case, I would recommend this motherboard and this video card.

ASUS boards are notorious for being picky about RAM, so I recommended Gigabyte instead. Abit is, unfortunately, now out of the motherboard business, so I don't recommend buying one of their boards now.

Abit is out? YIKES! ok ty for that update. I try to stick with one company if i can as long as they keep making quality products. Asus has been good till this board.

I like that video card alot more then what i had. TY!
As for the gigabyte mobo, i used them before but ended up with issues with the cap. You would buy this brand over the others? Are there brands you guys would suggest to stay away from?

As for the gigabyte mobo, i used them before but ended up with issues with the cap. You would buy this brand over the others? Are there brands you guys would suggest to stay away from?
You must be unlucky, Gigabyte and ASUS are top brands for sure.

A quick Google search will show how many people have had RAM compatibility issues with ASUS boards; very few instances of the same with Gigabyte mobos. Also, check out the WOF thread; you'll see a large amount of people have Gigabyte and ASUS boards, compared to other brands.

Brands to stay away from would be lower-end Biostar mobos, some low-end MSIs, Jetway, EPoX, ECS and some Universal abit boards.

Back