New Build Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenhomz

Hi just about to start a new build and have been looking at the various components available to build a pc for gaming and general use and have chosen this setup so far

intel core 2 duo e7300: 2.66 ghz, 1066 bus speed, 3mb cache
gigabyte ep43 ds3l motherboard : ip43, 1333 fsb, 2xDDR2 SDRAM, BIOS type : award
RAM: 4gb PC2-8500, (2x2gb)
Nvidia Geforce 9400GT 1024mb ddr2 ram : gpu clock speed-550mhz, memory clock speed-700mhz
Western digital caviar 500gb, 7200 spindel speed, sata hard drive
650w PSU

This is my first new build and if anyone could give me some advice on the parts i have chosen and thier compatability ( I think it should all work together) or if you have any suggestions for a better setup for roughly the same price I would be very grateful.

I can post an alternative build. Just post your location, whether or not you can buy online, a budget and what components you'll be needing.

You dont mention how much your total cost will be here. And, will you be using Vista or XP?

If you are using it for gaming I doubt you will be happy with the 9400GT. Recommend you swap it out and get something better. For example a 512Meg GDDR3 9600GT will smoke a 1Gig DDR2 9400GT.

It would add 50-60 dollars to your price.

Overall costs

Hi thanks for the input. I live in the uk and will be buying the parts online and was looking to spend around 500 pounds (800 dollars), Im not to rigid with the cost but would like to keep the cost down and achieve the best performance available and allow for upgrades in the future if possible. Also I have budgeted in that 500 pounds ,60 for case, 30 for optical drive, 60 for vista and 10 for a wifi card and a flash card reader. Which leaves 340 pounds (530 dollars) for the parts listed in my initial post. Thanks again for any advice

Thanks for the advice

Just a couple of questions. How great will the difference in performance be between the AMD processor you suggested and the Intel i was looking at as one has a 1mb cache and the other a 3mb? Will the performance be noticable?

There would be a some, yes. I didn't know eBuyer had this CPU in stock, otherwise I would've recommended it instead. I'll change my previous post accordingly and add a DVD drive recommendation as well.

I've edited my second post (post #6) to include a DVD drive recommendation and the new CPU recommendation. I also updated the prices accordingly.

As for LGA 775, I wouldn't go for it, since spending money on a comparably good LGA 775 CPU and motherboard as the AMD ones I've recommended would mean you'd have to spend lesser on the video card. And gaming performance depends primarily on the video card. If your budget allowed for it though, I would've recommend an LGA 775 CPU & mobo for sure.

Thanks Rage

Looks like Im about ready to order the parts. I think I will take your advice and go for a AMD setup espcially with the revised procceser with the 3MB L3 cache and the money you saved me on cpu+mobo has freed up some cash for a more appealing case. So thanks again you,ve helped loads

Yes, it is better than the other ASUS board because it has more options, but we are not fond of ASUS for AMD processors... and their tech support has slipped terribly in the past year... Take a look, also, as Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar, DFI, and Jetway.
The on-board graphics provides suitable, but not gamer quality, video graphics while saving much money you would otherwise spend on a video graphics card.

Thanks, the parts are ordered now so I'll have to see how well they do for myself now. Thanks for everyones input I'll no doubt need it agaid when it comes to putting the bits together.

Thanks for the advice rage

Built my first rig this weekend I took your advice rage and went for the amd setup. The build went better than expected for a first attemp no real problems booted first time, forgot to enable Lan function in the bios setup which gave me a headache trying to go online for a while. Apart from that it went to plan and its running just fine. So thanks again you're advice was a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back