New build, no post, no idea

Ok, like the title says, I got the parts for my new computer today, and spent the evening assembling it only to get a blank screen on boot. Further symptoms as follows:

DVD light blinks on and off but door is unresponsive
all fans spin up
no post test
Red LED blinking next to the CMOS/BIOS battery

Not a lot to go on, but I don't have spare parts that would work with the build to learn anything more revealing. Any suggestions would be welcome. All connections are secure, so I'm reasonably certain it's an actual hardware issue. and since I don't smell burnt silicon I didn't put the CPU heatsink on backward.

I just want something more than my own blind guess as to which part is the problem. The list of actual parts are as follows:

MB MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 R
DVD BURNER LG GH24NS50
PSU CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W RT
HD 500G SAMSUNG HD502HJ
VGA HIS|H685F1GD HD6850 R
MEM 4Gx2 GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
CPU AMD PH II X6 1090T 3.2G AM3 RT

Since you have an MSI board please ensure that you've put your memory modules into the correct slots. The first RAM slot in an MSI board is not the one next to the CPU but the one after.

I had an identical issue with a friend's system about a year back and putting the modules into the respective slots fixed it.

I've since located the debug LED, and it's showing a failure to initialize the CPU no matter how I manipulate the other components. So I'm looking at having recieved a bad CPU. Was something of a relief to find that LED to be honest. Of course, the only problem now is that I've somehow managed to kill the video output on my old machine. That'll teach me to let my wife remove the monitor while I was busy with the new one. Thanks for the help, just the same, it's been a few years since I was doing this kinda work and I'm way outta practice. (From the wife) Don't let him fool ya. I'm also the one that got said video output working again - for the second time. That machine is so cranky, and I'll be glad when it's gone.

Back