New build not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezibob

Hello,
Okay so I'm a total noob…I admit it…but if anyone can help me with this problem you would be a godsend!!!

I just had a new system put together by Cyberpower. I really wanted to build it myself but my friend who was going to guide me through it just up and died! Really...

Anyway (sorry I’m getting of on a tangent) I decided to avoid the probable headache and had cyberpower build it for me. I chose all the parts so perhaps that's the problem but I’m having all the issues I was trying to avoid anyways! Unstable…slow… hang ups…BSOD…you name it. And I am at my wits end!

The only thing that I added was the memory which I got from newegg. Could that be causing these issues?

Okay so here’s what’s in my rig,

Asus P5Q Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale

Palit Radeon HD 4850

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2x2 Gb)

500GB Western Digital WD5000AACS-00ZUB0

Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU

I have updated all the drivers
Upgraded the bios
I ran WD’s disk checker for errors…none
Ran memtest86 and it found no errors
Swapped my video card for an old one but still got a BSOD
I’ve tweaked the bios a bit to fit my memory timings but I am not overclocking. I just want a stable PC.But I'm not sure what my bio settings really should be.

When I run memtest and go to option 3 "Memory sizing" then I select 2-Bios -All I get errors immediatly. The memory itself says no errors.
Is that a Bios error? I'm not sure what the errors mean.

Heres an event log for my latest BSOD

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 11/12/2008
Time: 1:30:17 PM
User: N/A
Description:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 ba213c44, parameter4 00000000.

So my question is…what am I missing or doing wrong? Is there anything else I can do?
I am trying to avoid having to get "customer service help" seeing how they have the reputation of not being very fast or reliable. And honestly I REALLY do not want to ship it back at my expense if I can fix it myself. Please help!!!

XP...I tried vista and assumed all my probs were because of that.
I spent the first month trying to fix it with Vista and switched back to Xp after reading all the bad reviews of vista.
As far as the compatabilty issue...would cyberpower build a pc if the parts weren't compatible? Perhaps that was another wrong assumption on my part.
Anyway now the ****** is doing something new today! It looks as though it is starting...I get the Windows xp logo and then it just stays black. Will not open at all. What a piece of crap!

Okay...I've managed to get it working again so disregard that last post...even though I still feel like it's a piece of crap!

For a piece of "crap" that is one very nice rig. 0x8E errors are caused by hardware. If you start experiencing BSODs again attach your five latest minidump files in your next reply.

Well thank you Route44,
I was pretty excited about finally getting it too. I've been planning on a new computer for the last 3 years now but it was contingent on selling my house hahahaha :haha: and well we all now how that is going.
So I finally just said to HEdouble toothpicks and put it on my credit card. Okay so here I am now it's not even paid for yet and it's already behaving like a Schizophrenic stepchild!:D These were my last minidumps and a copy of the memtest screen.
Thanks!

As far as the compatabilty issue...would cyberpower build a pc if the parts weren't compatible?!

I take it you told them that you would be putting the OS on it, therefore there job would be to build a PC that boots up to nothing more than DOS prompt.

Due to the varience in parts they wouldnt test it with XP or SHista as this would entail them having to load the drivers etc

I think if its a case of incompatible parts you would be responsible and have a hard time trying to get any money back.

In the long run it may just be a case of a faulty part, you might be best taking it back and explaining the problem to them and seeing what they say.

dezibob, looking at your memtest log you have 20 errors and corrupted memory is definitly hardware related, thus the reason why you have 0x8E errors. Corrupted memory can cause all kinds of headaches that can lead to psychosis. :D Run memtest on each stick individually to determine which if one(s) are bad. Replace said bad sticks. Let us know how it turns out.

dezibob, looking at your memtest log you have 20 errors and corrupted memory is definitly hardware related, thus the reason why you have 0x8E errors. Corrupted memory can cause all kinds of headaches that can lead to psychosis. :D Run memtest on each stick individually to determine which if one(s) are bad. Replace said bad sticks. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It really helped just knowing I had a listening ear!

Ididmyc600
I like the "SHista" reference...never heard that one before but it fits! And your right about it being hard to get any money back. Since it looks like a memory thing which I bought seperately. That's why I've been trying to identify the culprit before I even talk to them.

Route44
I get that same result with each stick.

However I did some searching online about the results I get when I run the "BIOS ALL" Test. The article said that basically everyone’s memory would have that same error due to something with memtest .:confused:

Okay then why does that test even exist?

I ended up getting tech support through OCZ and they are RMA'ing both sticks. I think it's just a compatibility issue. :eek:
I read on their site that they have the option of replacing it with something else that would be comparable and compatible with your system. If that happens I would be totally elated seeing as how the fault was technically mine. I would be a OCZ customer for life if they do that!

I obviously didn't realize that all memory was not compatible with all boards. As long as the type was right I assumed it was a no brainer. The sticks I bought got awesome reviews on newegg and I'll be sad to see them go... but would certainly like to use this baby to it's full potential!

That is of course assuming it really is a compatibility issue. Heck it could just be that both sticks were bad…I’ve heard that that is more common than we would think.

Now I’m running some old memory I had from a previous computer (2 x 512 mb) and it’s running like a turtle…slow but sure. Reminds me of that story of the Tortoise and the Hare…I do want to get there fast but… I’d also like to get there! :D

Asus boards are well known for being very picky about RAM. The best thing to do in the future is to go to their websites and find your motherboard and they will list memory compatibility for each and every board.

Thanks for the reply and keep us up-to-date about the new RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back