New Build - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am in the process of upgrading my computer and need some tips / advice for doing so.

Rig-

Windows XP -64 Bit Edition
Asus M2N-E Motherboard
BFG GTX285 Video Card
4gb G-Skill Dual DDR2 Memory (5 - 5- 5 - 12)
AMD II x4 940 Black Edition CPU (4 x 3.0Ghz)
7200RPM Seagate HD - 300gb
OCZ Gamestream 700W Power Supply
Huge Custom Built Black - Blue Case - Neon Lighting

That is what I have purchased for this computer upgrade. Now my question is with the AMD II 940 processor is it worth overclocking it to say 3.4Ghz? I know people have reached 3.6Ghz stable but I have never overclocked before and my room can get fairly hot in the summer without AC.

I am new to this upgrading thing but I have done it before so any advice or tips to make my new gaming rig be more efficient would be greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts on my build? Any advice on overclocking?

Thanks

Mike

No its not worth overclocking, it performs worse than a i7 940 at stock when its at 3.4Ghz. Its not worth the voltage you have to put on it. If you're going to buy this thing it shouldnt be to overclock. It should be because you're (A), a fan boy or (B) are on a budget and want to take advantage of the price wars right now. This is not (C) an overclocking cpu<--the improvements over stock arent worth it.

Oh, btw, welcome to TS.

Yea I wont overclock it, I was just wondering if it was worth overclocking the CPU or anything for that matter in my system.

I have been an AMD person for a while because I think the pricepoint is better. While it may not perform as well as Intel I still like saving some money :)

Any tips for putting all this stuff together to make it run optimally? I am upgrading from a Quad AMD @ 2.2Ghz and an 8800 GT Oc2 Video card and a bit slower 4gb ram.

Hopefully these new changed will help my performance!

Edit-

Another question I have is about temperatures. My computer case has a ton of fans but it is in a somewhat enclosed computer case that comes with the desk. Here are my temps with the current hardware I have as stated above. Do you think I should find a better spot for the computer or do these readings indicate good enough air flow.

img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tempstj1.png (add www)

XP x64 was a bad decision IMO, you will have tons of driver problems. You were better off getting Vista x64. Also, your PSU is a very bad choice for such a powerful video card, it has a lot of ripple at high loads which will destroy electronic components over time, but since you have already bought it, you cannot really do anything about it except stick to that card. Any higher and you will load your PSU to the critical point where the ripple is out of spec.

That is another reason you should not attempt an overclock.

Change the psu probably, something with more stable rails.

You may need to install the drivers that come with the card(usually we all dont suggest this) because it tends to crash a lot just in start up and browsing to do all your fresh installs.

start up>vga default driver install>get latest firmware from nivia

Dont just go straight to the webbernet trying to install everything else.

Both of my brothers own 285's with phenom twos(I'm the outcast) They both had crash issues. We are all Asus owners as well.

Well I didn't actually BUY that PSU I have had it for about a year and it was top of the line at the time I purchased it.

ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18185&vpn=OCZ700GXSSLI&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology#Specifications

Edit- Is my PSU really that bad? What should I buy if it is that bad? Is my hard drive bad?

I also have Vista 64 Bit and Vista 32 bit disks. If I need to install Vista I will but from what I have read 64 bit XP was better than vista for gaming.

If an experienced builder could give me their AIM or MSN I would really appreciate it

OCZ was never top-of-the-line as far as PSUs are concerned. This particular one is based on the FSP Epsilon design, which is notorious for its out-of-spec ripple under heavy load.

You do not need a new PSU, but do not get a more powerful card later without first upgrading your PSU. The GTX 285 should last you a long time IMO, so you should not have too many problems till then.

And while XP 32-bit is a better bet for gaming, when it comes to 64-bit, Vista is the superior choice.

Thanks so much Rage.

1 More question for you.

You said I dont NEED another PSU but will it have ANY impact on my video performance if I don't upgrade my PSU?

I will definitely buy a new PSU when I get another card etc or if i need one but if you think this card is good for the current job thats great too

Edit- Ok 2 questions

The ram I am buying for this computer is:

4gb Gskill PC28000 (5-5-5-15) Memory shown below

ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26456&vpn=F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ&manufacture=G.SKILL&promoid=1015

In my system now I currently have STOCK ram made by Qimonda

It is:

4gb PC2-6400 @400mhz speed

Should I combine the ram to make 8gb of memory or just stick with the new GSKILL pc8000 4gb ram.

I currently have

NO, dont even think about mixing those sets. You. 4 gigs is plenty unless you want to do video encoding while you game or something extreme like that.

Ok good advice thank you.

If I could get a "BETTER" PSU for my computer what would you suggest.

Look at my rig setup and make sure I actually need a new PSU though. If my current setup will run at 100% with the current PSU and no problems then I am happy. I will buy a new PSU for future upgrades if this is the case

Nah, the PSU does not affect performance in any way. And the GTX 285 is good for any resolution upto 1920x1200, and will allow you to max out the image quality options in any game without any noticeable performance hit.

You do not need a new PSU since you will not be loading your current one to very high levels at all. And as supersmashbrada stated, do not mix those kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back