New build; GPU and monitor question

Hi All,
I am building my own rig and although I have 90% of the parts, I am divided on what GPU to get. I designed my new system around the RTX3080, I know stupid me thinking I could get one right? But after reading reviews about CPU bottlenecking for playing games on a monitor that isn't 4K, I am now stuck as to whether I should get a different GPU.

I have processor i7-10700k, a motherboard that can handle that and the RTX3080, a PSU of up to 750w and I started off with 16gb RAM.

I am looking to upgrade my monitor, but my budget is limited, so I may only be able to afford 1080p at the moment, although I would like to get a 1444p.
So my question is, should I forget about the 3080/3070 and just buy a 2070 super instead to use on a 1080p monitor?
Or should I still wait for the 3080?

I will be using my system for normal day to day stuff, but also for gaming; like MSFS2020 and other games on the horizon. I wanted to future proof my system to handle game releases in the future.

I do want to be able to run MSFS2020 at most Ultra settings and have it run smooth without frame stuttering, etc, hence the new build since my current build is Dell from about 10 years ago which has the first i7 core, with me upgrading RAM and having a GTX960 in it and running on a Dell 20inch 900p monitor. So as you can see I am due for an upgrade

Any thoughts?

Wayne

Last edited:
It's too bad you said Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. That is the one game that requires all the CPU single threaded performance you can muster and it is has shown that it is not as dependant on a upper end card (yet). There has to be some optimization that is going to happen to that game down the road. If we think along those lines (your need to run ultra settings) why don't you grab yourself a RTX 2060 Super (the card with the most bang for the buck in the Nvidia lineup) to get you by until the RTX 3000 series are more available (if you can't wait). I don't think we are that far off from better availability of the RTX 3000 cards. Nvidia is going to address the pre-order sellout/Ebay fiasco (so they said) and maybe we can properly satisfy our needs soon and get one card per household. Monitor wise: I f you can swing it, look for a screen with G Sync. That means the card and the monitor will sync the frame rate. I did that years ago and I have been super happy with my screen. It's an Asus 27" 2560 x 1440.

It's too bad you said Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. That is the one game that requires all the CPU single threaded performance you can muster and it is has shown that it is not as dependant on a upper end card (yet). There has to be some optimization that is going to happen to that game down the road. If we think along those lines (your need to run ultra settings) why don't you grab yourself a RTX 2060 Super (the card with the most bang for the buck in the Nvidia lineup) to get you by until the RTX 3000 series are more available (if you can't wait). I don't think we are that far off from better availability of the RTX 3000 cards. Nvidia is going to address the pre-order sellout/Ebay fiasco (so they said) and maybe we can properly satisfy our needs soon and get one card per household. Monitor wise: I f you can swing it, look for a screen with G Sync. That means the card and the monitor will sync the frame rate. I did that years ago and I have been super happy with my screen. It's an Asus 27" 2560 x 1440.

Thank you for that, I think budget wise to get a 1080p moniter unless a 1440p becomes less expensive. It seems in the UK everything is more expensive than the US. I was thinkning of getting a 2070 super so at least I can run that and my current games I have already on my current system.
I just can't really afford to buy a 2060 or 2070 GPU and then fork out money on a 3080 when they become available, not that flushed with money.
It was trying to get balance right on a monitor and GPU without bottlenecking my CPU. I am more than happy for 60 FPS on flight sim.

And.....it's not the price of the monitor that is going to mess with you. If you go to 2560 x 1440 monitor you need more gpu/cpu to run it at Ultra settings (In some titles). A RTX 2070 Super will do very well it's just that the RTX 3080 is 50% more performance than a RTX 2080/RTX 2070 Super for the same street price/MSRP as the RTX 2080. It's really too bad you can't wait a bit longer eh? It's a good time to be building a new rig, you are just a month or two early. We should be seeing a very large reduction on those older RTX 2000 cards but I am not seeing it yet because of the constrained 3000 availability.

The bottom has to fall out of the RTX 2000 card value. It has to!

If you can't wait and you go 1080p monitor yes, I agree, you don't need a RTX 3000 anything for that resolution. In fact it won't run games any better at that resolution, because we are finding out that the CPUs we have today won't feed the GPU fast enough to increase frame rates at 1080p.

And.....it's not the price of the monitor that is going to mess with you. If you go to 2560 x 1440 monitor you need more gpu/cpu to run it at Ultra settings (In some titles). A RTX 2070 Super will do very well it's just that the RTX 3080 is 50% more performance than a RTX 2080/RTX 2070 Super for the same street price/MSRP as the RTX 2080. It's really too bad you can't wait a bit longer eh? It's a good time to be building a new rig, you are just a month or two early. We should be seeing a very large reduction on those older RTX 2000 cards but I am not seeing it yet because of the constrained 3000 availability.

The bottom has to fall out of the RTX 2000 card value. It has to!

If you can't wait and you go 1080p monitor yes, I agree, you don't need a RTX 3000 anything for that resolution. In fact it won't run games any better at that resolution, because we are finding out that the CPUs we have today won't feed the GPU fast enough to increase frame rates at 1080p.

Thank you. I was waiting to build, but then MSFS2020 came out, and I wasn't expecting to come out due to the pandemic, so when it did, it was like panic stations to build a new rig to run it.
I do run other games on my current system, and I was looking at the system requirements to run MSFS2020 and saw youtube reviews of people running beta MSFS on their current system, so I started to look at RTX2000 series which is when I came across the 3000 series.

I may just wait for more of the 3000 series to come out, but in the mean time I will build my system and install my current GPU in it and just play games I can run on that GPU. so maybe I will just upgrade my monitor to a 1440p if I am not going to splash out on a new GPU at the moment.

Excellent idea! I'm glad I could help to influence you. This would be the only time in Nvidia GPU history that they a have done this, which is: A) Released a product that improved performance by such a wide margin B) Didn't increase prices for that bump in performance (which we all thought they would do). I look forward to a plethora of used Nvidia graphics cards coming into the market in 2021. =)

Back