New build w/ i7 920 Running hot (55c idle and 91c load with Prime95)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't my first system build, but it's my first one in 3 years.

I've got a i7 920 (D0) with stock cooling. I initially used the factory thermal paste, but was getting even higher temps. I just applied Arctic Silver 5 (using their instructions) and i'm still getting temps I consider pretty high compared to all my AMD builds in the past. I'm using a GB UD3R Mobo and my case is an Antec P180 which has pretty good airflow over the CPU.

I'm worried I've got a crap CPU? can I exchange it at Microcenter worse case scenario?

any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Bryan

p.s. I'm using Real Temp 3.00 to monitor the temp.

Couple of questions, did you remove all of the old thermal paste before applying the new? and are you overclocking?

I haven't used Arctic Silver 5 before, but i've heard there is a cure time.

what CPU cooler are you using?

Temps will not be that bad before cure time, after cure temps drop by around 2-4C so your CPU is very very hot

Yep, I removed all the stock thermal paste with alcohol before applying the AS5.

I'm using the stock i7 heatsink.

Everything is running at BIOS defaults, so no over clocking.

Thanks!

well, some improvement. I turned of the Intel acceleration and the temps are down to 83 c (highest) at maxload. i know it isn't ideal, but it's an improvement. I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys could offer. I'm at a loss here.

thanks

-bryan

Umm, ok for the comments on the stock cooler, its 20% larger than the other stock coolers for intels other lines. I've achieved 3.8Ghz on the stock cooler, 55C idle, 79C full load on prime.

Ok, I have to ask, what case do you have, the air moving through the case is definately important. Try turn hyper threading off in bios. That should give you a 7-10C decease in temps at load on the stock cooler.

Go into bios, set vcore to 1.3v with the stock qpi settings. Load to windows, see how it goes. On the stock cooler I and many many others have primed the i7 to 100C for 25minutes + over at extremeoverclockers, trying to find the safe point. One guy had a dead cpu at 110C after 32 minutes. You need to understand that average temps for a i7 on stock cooler is atround 65C, sometimes +3-5C. Post back and lets figure your issue out.

I have a Antec P180 with the stock fans, it seems to have pretty good airflow across the CPU.
Thanks for the response. I'll adjust the settings you suggested and let you know the results.

thanks!

ok, so right now my temps are floating around 46/45/46/41 with the default bios settings with no load

With hyper-threading turned off we are at 49/48/50/44

With hyper-threading and Vcore set to 1.3v we show 60/62/5856

Any comments? Do i need to reseat my heatsink again? I hope whomever came up with the clip design for the stock heatsink was fired from intel! :)

Is there a good glossary that gives descriptions of each of the i7 features and related terminology (eg, Vcore, QPI, etc....)?

Thanks again for your help!

if you're going to keep your vcore at stock you can lower the vcore even further. Mine is currently at 1.256 for 4Ghz.

Yes there is a guide, I'll find it and post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back