New custom PC build that will not start up

screamingpilch

Hello all thanks for trying to help me,

I am a first time PC builder that has put his computer together and it will not start up.

I push the on button, Light comes on, fans and hard drive start up but then the system turns off. I would say the process is about 1 second overall. Here are my pc spec's.

Intel i5 2500k
ASUS z68 lx motherboard
500gb Seagate baracuda
OCZ 750watt power supply
8GB G-Skill Ripgaw RAM

I am a noob at this kind of thing so all help will be greatly apprietiated, Thanks,

Sam

Make sure the motherboard isn't touching anything it shouldn't.

Sounds like it could be shorting out.

Passed that it could be an psu issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Could it possibly be a problem my CPU?
When I installed it one half of the pins on my motherboard bent forward as I closed the bracket. I checked that they are both LGA 1155 socket as well and read the instructions on the motherboard booklet and the Intel processor booklet.
Also, My processor has no pin's as the contact points, instead it is flat. Is that right?

Thanks again

Yes the processor has only contact surfaces, intels at least. It should be flat. If you bent pins on your motherboard as you installed the processor you need to carefully, and I stress CAREFULLY try to bend them back into place, with something like a needle. You need to make sure there is no power connected before you try suck a thing. UNPLUG AND DISCONNECT EVERYTHING.

When you install a cpu you should not put any pressure on it as you lay it down. I generally try to drop it into place completely flat.

Ok I understand

I just don't know why they bent. I did just drop the cpu onto the socket but when the cover came down and I tried to close the lever thats when the pin's bent. :(

I'm really annoyed with myself, I didn't rush it or was heavy-handed and yet I have still seemed to mess it up.

Right, I had a look into that cpu problem and found out it is not a problem at all. It seems to be normal for sandybridge sockets to make that noise.

Now on my motherboard do I need both the 24-pin and the 8-pin power connectors connected?

sam

I'm not quite understanding this. If your CPU has bent pins, that's a problem.
You should need the 24-pin hooked up, but you'd only need the 8 pin if you have a graphics card that requires an 8 pin.
Speaking of which, you have GPU right?

Yes that connector. No I do not have a GPU yet but I didn't think that would affect the computer?

This is the problem I am having with the CPU ah man I cant put a URL in the text box because this thread is less than 4 posts.

Others seem to be having the same difficulties.

Yes you need the 24 pin (powers the mobo) and the 8 pin(powers the cpu) connected. Although usually there is a 4+4 in because most people only need 4 of the 8 pins. It doesn't hurt to have all 8 in either though.

Not having a gpu, mm you may need to go into the bios as soon as the pc starts up and "enable" the intel hd3000 graphics.

Press the "delete" key during startup to get into your bios.

Ok I'll try this first thing tomorrow beause it is very late in england atm.

Thank you so much for your help so far, Dont know what I would do otherwise. :D

Back