New Facebook tool will show which Russian troll accounts you Liked or followed

midian182

Staff member

It’s thought that around 146 million people may have seen Russian propaganda on social media platforms before and after the 2016 US election. For those worried they might have engaged with accounts created by the Internet Research Agency, Facebook is creating a tool showing users what Facebook Pages or Instagram accounts they Liked or followed that are associated with the notorious troll farm.

In addition to creating the bogus accounts, which were designed to spread misinformation and influence US voters, Facebook said the Kremlin-linked Internet Research Agency spent $100,000 on over 3000 ads displayed around the time of the election.

The social network’s portal will show users which IRA-created “Facebook Pages or Instagram accounts they may have Liked or followed between January 2015 and August 2017.” It’s set to arrive in the Facebook Help Center by the end of the year.

“It is important that people understand how foreign actors tried to sow division and mistrust using Facebook before and after the 2016 US election. That’s why as we have discovered information, we have continually come forward to share it publicly and have provided it to congressional investigators. And it’s also why we’re building the tool we are announcing today,” explained the company.

While Facebook is introducing the tool to try and make the Russian activity more transparent, the platform is facing criticism over the portal’s technical limitations. The tool can’t inform people if they were exposed to Internet Research Agency content from sources they didn't follow, which can happen if their friends Like something and it subsequently appears in their newsfeeds.

Additionally, the tool puts the onus on people to visit the portal, and Facebook is assuming everyone will discover its existence. It also requires people find out themselves if they followed/Liked any of these accounts, rather than Facebook notifying them.

“It's a much more challenging issue to identify and notify reliably people who may have been exposed to this content on an individual basis,” Colin Stretch, the company’s general counsel, told the House Intelligence Committee earlier this month.

Permalink to story.

How do we found out which fake Russian accounts the Trumps engaged with?
I think Zuckerberg banded together with a bunch of other silicon valley liberals, who spread their own "propaganda", er oops, I mean "truth", about how they didn't want Trump to be president. This was very carefully worded so that you would think it was your idea.

So, because they adhere to a "liberal agenda", do you think that makes them above generating their own "fake news"? Do you think it makes them above doing anything besides serving their own interests?

When you come right down to it, the intelligence has been bred out of the general population. The net result is that the average person doesn't recognize propaganda, even as they jump through its hoops. Like when Google tells you it's going to allow you to choose the types of ads they force on you, instead of forcing any old ads on you, and you say, "thank you sir, may I have another, because I know you're on my side"

At the end of the day, you get "targeted ads" anyway, because Google really isn't stupid enough to not target the ads you receive, and there you were thinking it was your idea.

Facebook is no different tactically. but the cool part about Facebook is, you don't have to join.

Unfortunately, we've all lost the right to, "not join", Google.

Last edited:
Facebook bows down to their masters in Washington DC, very simple. There's nothing liberal here to see here. Just Master-Slave relations

maxresdefault.jpg

And that becomes even more self evident with each of your posts. Thank you.
Oh,I don't think that's true, it's simply that you can't read. ......., "y'all".

It's pretty comical, you have 27 posts here, half a dozen of which are trying to troll me, Another post calling a long standing member "it", while pretending to be overcome with grief over some a Chinese girl, who simply can't go to bed without her stinking cell phone.

Hopefully, your tenure here will be brief. And while I'm occasionally off topic, at least I'm usually pertinent, and often valiantly attempt to add to the humor of these discussions.

Even the people I argue with, (often at great length), don't seem to think my intelligence is impaired. That stands to reason. Otherwise, why would they spend so much effort trying to change my mind?

In your case, I believe, it's because you think you.know it all....

In any case, I know the difference between, "there", "their", & "they're, and how to spell, "y'all", while not even being from the south. I could easily put forth the argument I'm at least one step up the evolutionary ladder from you.

Last edited:
Are you posting, or tweeting? All your cryptic sniping would be better suited to that environment.

"Me read'um good". Whaddya know, we got ourselves a real Nobel laureate among us!

Are you stuck in assisted living with weak wifi or did your new, millennial, single, attractive, female, boss just hand you a VERP package?

Oh,I don't think that's true, it's simply that you can't read. ......., "y'all".

It's pretty comical, you have 27 posts here, half a dozen of which are trying to troll me, Another post calling a long standing member "it", while pretending to be overcome with grief over some a Chinese girl, who simply can't go to bed without her stinking cell phone.

Hopefully, your tenure here will be brief. And while I'm occasionally off topic, at least I'm usually pertinent, and often valiantly attempt to add to the humor of these discussions.

Even the people I argue with, (often at great length), don't seem to think my intelligence is impaired. That stands to reason. Otherwise, why would they spend so much effort trying to change my mind?

In your case, I believe, it's because you think you.know it all....

In any case, I know the difference between, "there", "their", & "they're, and how to spell, "y'all", while not even being from the south. I could easily put forth the argument I'm at least one step up the evolutionary ladder from you.

If you hold ctrl and tap +, the text gets bigger. Have you thought of trying that?

If you hold ctrl and tap +, the text gets bigger. Have you thought of trying that?
Would that sort of being like, um, able to tweet louder? If so, you should take your own advice and text really, really big, at me.

Tell me, what's it like being from Tejas and not being able to spell "y'all", successfully?

BTW, this software has the ability to change font size from the tool bar. The site administrators locked it out years ago.That's visionary, I'd say. It's sort of like they knew you were coming.

Judging by your infantile response to it, the bold is quite sufficient to cause a noob like yourself to pitch a tantrum. (Or should we call it, "a hissy fit")?

Last edited:
Would that sort of being like, um, able to tweet louder? If so, you should take your own advice and text really, really big, at me.

Tell me, what's it like being from Tejas and not being able to spell "y'all", successfully?

BTW, this software has the ability to change font size from the tool bar. The site administrators locked it out years ago.That's visionary, I'd say. It's sort of like they knew you were coming.

Judging by your infantile response to it, the bold is quite sufficient to cause a noob like yourself to pitch a tantrum. (Or should we call it, "a hissy fit")?

Have you thought about a new prescription or getting a new sponsor for your 12 step recovery program. You might a need a co-sponsor as well. It is obvious you have a long road to recovery.

Back