New HD Win XP

i am trying to install windows xp on a new hd on acer aspire 5542 3Gig ram:dead:

windows loads files until it gets to starting windows and the comes up with an error 0x00000e9 and quits it will not go any father.

i have tried to use recovery disks for and a ligit copy of windows xp

i have tried Alt - F10

i cant get to where i can do a chkdsk /F

as it stops before that

i also get memtest.exe failed or corrupted but i put that memory into other laptop and it works great....

does anyone have any suggestions...it will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Using the XP install CD,
1>Please insert the Install Disc into the tray and restart the computer.
2>When you see " press any key to boot from the cd ", please press any key.
3>After that please click on the " repair your computer" option.
4>Now select " command prompt" and type the command ( chkdsk /r ) which will repair all the corrupted files.The computer will restart once the process is done.Please try to do the updates one at a time.

i can not even get to that part
once it get to starting windows screen it goes to a blue page with errors ... 0x00000e9
i will try that again
Thank you

Using the XP install CD,
1>Please insert the Install Disc into the tray and restart the computer.
2>When you see " press any key to boot from the cd ", please press any key.
3>After that please click on the " repair your computer" option.
4>Now select " command prompt" and type the command ( chkdsk /r ) which will repair all the corrupted files.The computer will restart once the process is done.Please try to do the updates one at a time.
gbhall, those are Vista instructions. With XP you press R at the first prompt to do so. liljackhank, you may try putting this in the BSOD forum if it is a stop error (BSOD). The telltale sign is a blue screen with something like "Windows has encountered an unrecoverable error and has shut down to preserve your data."

Has the install actually completed?

Your description makes me unsure whether your trying to say it is causing a BSOD when it is loading the Windows files off of the Windows XP CD (the first part of the installation), or whether you mean the setup completed, but is causing a BSOD during the OS booting up.

If its the first issue and your hard disk is SATA, its could be likely that the problem is relating to a lack of SATA drivers causing the installation to kill itself with a BSOD. I've experienced it many times before myself.

If possible, try changing the hard disk mode in BIOS to legacy or IDE, or whatever the setting is besides SATA/AHCI mode. Then try the install again.

If nothing will work, you could do something else. Install the hard disk as a second hard disk, and use your current OS install on your old hard disk to run Windows. Then use something like Acronis to-do backup or similar to make a image of the current hard disk, and restore it to your new hard disk. If your model is a laptop, you can do the same thing through USB external drive enclosures.

Then if you wish to have a fresh install you can just use the recovery console and do it through the hard disk.

Back