New i5 760 gaming rig

Richardw9

Just got a new gaming rig, had it a couple of weeks now and so far it seems to be performing as expected. It cost me £780 from a small shop nearby to me, i'm aware I could have built it myself for around £700, but I got it as a GCSE present and my mum didn't trust me to build it myself lol. My pc specs are:

i5 760 CPU @ stock
Palit GTX 460 1gb OC @ 800mhz
Asus P7P55D LE Mobo (probably my biggest mistake as there is no SLI support.)
4GB DDR3 Corsair RAM (1333 or 1666mhz, not 100% sure)
1tb HDD
700w PSU
Antec Three Hundred case
Thermaltake contac 29 CPU cooler (Currently keeping the CPU below 50C)

So far I've tested it using Dawn of War 2 and Dirt 2, both on max settings and they played perfectly. Any thoughts? This may be harder that it sounds as I'm only using a 19" and a 17" monitor, but, what could I use to push this system to it's limits?

Nice system there. To push it further you could get a bigger monitor at higher resolutions. Plus there are more demanding games.

I'm not sure how well a single card setup will run high end games on a multi GPU setup. I would suggest going in for a single 24" with the GTX 460. Get 2 22" monitors only if you're intending on getting a second GTX 460 soon.

I'm not sure how well a single card setup will run high end games on a multi GPU setup. I would suggest going in for a single 24" with the GTX 460. Get 2 22" monitors only if you're intending on getting a second GTX 460 soon.

That didn't make a lot of sense to me, are you trying to say that using two monitors will affect my performance in games? I would only have the game running on one monitor at a time, I just like the extra monitor for general computer use. BTW, adding an extra GTX460 wouldn't be possible without upgrading my mobo, as it currently doesn't support SLI.

I would only have the game running on one monitor at a time, I just like the extra monitor for general computer use.

Sorry. I thought you were talking about playing on Eyefinity.

Sorry. I thought you were talking about playing on Eyefinity.

Eyefinity is out of the question at the moment, If I really want it then it will be a £300+ upgrade to get a new mobo and gpu. I'm looking at the possibility of switching to the 1155 boards next year, but only if they look like they're going to be be faster and more future proof. That would probably cost around £320 to upgrade, without an extra 460, but I could get some of the money back by selling my i5 and mobo.

Back