New Mac - How do I transfer old XP to new comp

geoffd86

So I decided to make the huge leap and actually (finally) got a macbook pro, which I love already.

I would like to take my old XP OS and install it on the new mac using bootcamp, so that I can run Solidworks and Labview. I know that I can only use the operating system on one computer, so I will no longer be using the old one. My question is, if I still have the key, but not the discs, can I still install the OS and bootcamp or do I need to buy a new one?

Also, I don't have my Microsoft Office 2003 key or cd's anymore, but I would like to switch that over as well. Will I need to buy it again, or is there some way to get that off of the computer?

Thanks a lot.

Nope can't transfer, just fresh install.
Office keys should still be retrievable from your computer providing it is still installed.

Just borrow a disk or something.

Is there anywhere I can buy a new copy of XP? I don't want to end up getting a counterfeit copy off of ebay, and I don't want to try and mess with running Windows 7 and downgrading, or pirate one.

My bad. I have an iBuyPower by the way. I've heard multiple opinions on this. I was under the impression that the OS was bound to the motherboard.

I also heard that you could migrate the OS to a different computer but you couldn't run it on the old computer (only one computer at a time).

My bad. I have an iBuyPower by the way. I've heard multiple opinions on this. I was under the impression that the OS was bound to the motherboard.

I also heard that you could migrate the OS to a different computer but you couldn't run it on the old computer (only one computer at a time).
Thats true, you just have to contact microsoft if I remember.

EDIT: On second thought, don't mention that you're transferring to a mac :).

The Migration facility is per user login and transfers ONLY the preferences and data of that specific user, eg from the %userprofile% area;

it's not a 'system migration'

OEM licenses tie XP to the motherboard, however, retail versions are freely allowed move between computers, provided that it is only installed on one computer at a time.
I think.
You might be able to move an OEM license if you go to the trouble of calling microsoft, but I don't remember.

Its something for others to answer really, but I'm wondering if the OP could make a image of his current installation, and restore the image through bootcamp?

Would this be possible?

The hardware is all different, so it would likely bluescreen during boot. May be able to get away with uninstalling drivers involving the motherboard architecture and then making an image.

The hardware is all different, so it would likely bluescreen during boot. May be able to get away with uninstalling drivers involving the motherboard architecture and then making an image.
Much more trouble than its worth even if its successful. You pretty much replace everything windows related anyway.

Oh I agree, just trying to give Leeky an answer.

Thank you, it was appreciated.

I thought it would likely be an issue due to driver/hardware conflicts, but it was worth asking all the same. :)

I considered myself a decent computer user, but I often feel like a newbie given the knowledge of members on here. :D

Usually the rule of thumb is this, if your copy of Windows was pre-installed on the machine when you bought it, the no, you can't transfer it. To the best of my knowledge, only retail copies of Windows are transferable to another computer.

This begs the question, did you actually have a Windows disc for your old computer, or was this a "restore disc"?

Anybody want to field this question, is Barts PE a potential solution to this issue?

Incidentally, Newegg still lists Windows XP Home OEM; http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCate...SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems&Page=2 as being in stock.

Back