New mobo, can't enable DMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Recently purchased new motherboard (ECS 755-a2). Installed, no probs there. Running XP Home. For the life of me can't get DMA enabled on primary channel. In BIOS, when I enable IDE DMA transfer access, computer acts like it can't find OS. When off computer runs, albeit in PIO mode for HD.

ECS 755-a2 mainboard (SIS 755 chipset)
160gb seagate HD
HP DVDR/W drive
512mb pc3200 DDR
GF Fx5200 128mb GPU
Athlon64 3200+ processor

Really ticking me off, PIO is slow as snail snot! Thanks for the help!

And we all know how slow that is. :) Go to the primary channel in the Device Manager and uninstall it. Reboot and Windows will automatically reinstall it. See if that changes it to DMA transfer mode.

If you installed a new motherboard but used an old hard drive with Windows already installed, you should perform a repair or reinstall of Windows followed by installation of all applicable drivers.

done and done. Don't know why its not working. Was told that BIOS setting for DMA didnt really matter becuase DMA is managed by windows...not sure tho. Keep the replies coming! Thanks!

What devices are installed on the primary IDE channel? Are the jumpers set correctly? You know, master - slave or both to cable select.

Hard drive on primary, alone, DVDRW on secondary, also alone. Switched HD to secondary, drive jumps right into udma5. Thinking primary ide channel failed on me. Computer won't boot with dvd hooked to primary, either, which could be understandable. Opinions before I send it back to ECS?

You didn't say anything about the jumpers on the back of the devices. With each single device on a separate channel, set each to master.

You missed my point. If there is only one device attached to each IDE controller, it should be set to master. If set to slave, it might not be recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back