New PC fails to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there all.
Put the finishing touches to my new PC, plugged it in,turned on the power and the fans spun up.................................and thats all she wrote. Further investigation showed that the mother board (ASUS P5N-E SLI) was getting power as the green led was lit. My new case hasn't got a speaker so wouldn't hear any beeps but doubt I would anyway.
I am tempted to consider (after trolling the net trying to find out what it could be) that it might be a RAM issue. The mother board manual says the four RAM slots can hold from 256MB up to 2GB modules. Then the helpful ASUS perople list a whole lot of potential modules giving Manufacturers and part numbers..................but only up to 1Gig. (What the...?)
So I bought a single Kingston 2GB DDR2 800 module and put that in. I am now wondering if it actually needs a matching module in the matching slot (2 blue slots and 2 black slots to help there). Not being an expert I'm hoping that the single module can't handle a single channel configeration.
Over to you tech fiends!:stickout:

hope u put the Ram in the first slot.
the slot closest to the processor
and also if this does not solve the problem
catch the vendor by his neck hehe
the Ram is probably defected

but try checking the ram in ur friends comp if it works there then it should be ur mobo or the cmos cell that aint wking

"So I bought a single Kingston 2GB DDR2 800 module and put that in. I am now wondering if it actually needs a matching module in the matching slot (2 blue slots and 2 black slots to help there)"

Oops I meant yellow and black and yes the single module is in the slot closest to the CPU.
I'm gogin to take the RAM to work and run memtest.

from my experiences of building computers. You dont need two matching memory sticks to make a computer run. One should work fine.

here are some suggestions.
connect your motherboard outside of the case next to the case. Hook up the powersw, resetsw and hddsw up to mobo ( these are the wires from the computer case to the mother board) make sure its close cause sometimes those wires are short.

next make sure the processor is working and thermal paste is on it. Be sure to connect the keyboard and mouse to the back of the mobo where it should be.

connect your graphics card and hard drives / hard drives via sata or ide. Depending on what you have.

turn on your computer and see if you get a signal. Most graphics cards has two connectors try the dvi input. if you can.

if the computer is still running and you get no signal. Its either a ram issue or a graphic cards issue. If your computer stalls its a processor issue. If your hard drives are defective youll know because most defective hds spin louder etc.

Also sometimes you can buy blank sticks to place in your extra ram slots , you can try that as well.

in those empty slots. Also most computers can only process up to 4 gigs of ram. Some computers less. I suggest buying another 2 gigs just to have back ups or testing ddr 2 is cheap now adays.

First of All
if ur Ram is having porblem
the motherboard wont boot
ul hear a irritating beep
2ndly
u can use a single Ram
u need the same capacity Ram if ur installing the 2nd one check in ur mobo manual
the 3rd and the 4th slot can be installed with a different capacity .but in pairs like the 1st 2 RAm .

for example
slot A = 1gb
slot B= 1gb
slot c = 2gb
slot d = 2gb

its wise to take all of em ddr2 coz of the changing technology
look in ur mobo manual for more info
try using Sisandra software
to know about ur hardware

Thanks for the ideas people. I have confirmed the RAM is ok with a friends new ASUS based PC so suspcion now falls upon the motherboard. I will take your advice manacloud and try booting the board outside of the case. Will report back on the outcome.

well ur friend was quite helpful
its no doubt the motherboard problem
take it back to the company if in warranty condition

try
ur friends Ram before do something silly
if it boots
nothing is wrong
its just the ram and mobo i.e incompatiable

try
ur friends Ram before do something silly
if it boots
nothing is wrong
its just the ram and mobo i.e incompatiable

Already thought of that. His Ram didn't do anything either. Just did another test of the board out of the case and still nothing so it's a motherboard problem as everything else works fine. And the RAM is compatible as he has the same motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back