New processor causing gaming frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I just installed a new amd 6400+ x2 in my computer replacing a 5000+ x2. Everything boots fine and works fine in windows, however, once i start playing a game i know I have only a matter of 30-90 mins before it crashes to a 000000x8 error or a blue screen/restart.

I heard the 6400+ runs hot and got a nice zalman 9900. But it still crashes. This is not the black edition processor btw. My only guess is the bios. Any other thoughts?

Asus m2ne-sli mobo
Some sick ocz ram, 4 (1GB)
Windows vista
700w psu
PNY 8800gt

Is that an 0x8E? If it is these error codes are almost always caused by hardware but we don't have enough information to make even an educated guess at this point.

We're going to assume you put new thermal compound in the right quantity. So what we need are your minidump files.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Here are the two dump files I had. Hope they help!!!

Attachments

• Mini042810-01.dmp
    128 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini050110-01.dmp
    140.5 KB · Views: 1
The first error is 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related.

It only cited a Windows OS driver and OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help.

The second error is 0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

This dump specifically cited the Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys as the cause of your crashes. Normally the recommendation would be to update your video card drivers by these steps:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

*** However, it is quite possible your issue is heat build up. If your system shuts down 30-90 minutes into a game the video card has been under a load as is the sysstem. That gives plenty of time for heat to build up and heat will shut a system down fast.

Check your temps, airflow and fans particularly your video card fan.

Thank you for all your help. Going to try cleaning up the driver now. I really don't think its a heat issue because the 5000+ ran the same system for over 2 years. But the symptoms certainly point to that, hence the exspensive cpu cooler. Will be back after driver cleanup to let you know how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back