New processor, won't power up

Hello All,

I have a Hp Pavilion 522c Tower running Windows XP Home Edition with Amd 1.67 Ghz Processor that ended up getting fried, so we ordered a new one and replaced it, after replacing it and attempting to boot the computer it started with a stop error, saying that the Atapi.sys file's date was incorrect, so i restarted the computer to find that it would freeze at the loading screen for selecting a boot mode, after rebooting multiple times getting the same thing over and over again, and trying one last time to start it, it stops loading completely, does not load BIOS just starts with a black screen, the lights say that its pulling from the HDD but you dont see anything happening, i left it like that for about 30 mins and to no result it was still sitting at a black screen, i have tried re seating everything, RAM, PCI cards, but to no avail, i am now at a stand still i have also tried just booting with bare minimum keyboard and monitor, but still to no avail. have any thing for me to try?

Are you surer your MB supports the new CPU? and if it does, do you need a bios update for it?
secondly, when you say "fried"...what exactly does that mean, and are you sure it damage the MB along with it?

The Atapi.sys file process belongs to the software hard disk controller. You might try a different HDD to see if that is the problem.

Did you perform a Windows update shortly before this issue occurred or before the original CPU died?

One way to determine if this could be fixed with a fresh OS install would be to download Puppy Linux to a flash drive. Then, try to boot up your machine off of the flash drive.

Wait ... does it even let you see the boot-up selection screen now? o_o

I think that is part of the problem PYGMUS, I don't think he can even get to the bios or the boot menu

Yes, i'm positive that the MB can handle the brand new processor, i went to the HP site to look up the specifications and ordered the new processor according to the manufacturer part number directly from the manufacturer. i have no reason to think that the new processor has damaged the MB, but with the last one that ended up being replaced, it was literally melted on a corner of the top of the processor.

i will try the different HDD to see if that makes a difference.

PYGMUS - no, just updated it a few weeks prior, and no, i am unable to even get to the boot screen, it does not even load the BIOS screen, i have tried to boot using the HP Recovery/OS disk but failed to load when i cant get into the BIOS in order to change the boot sequence.

Red- no i havent been able to get to either the BIOS screen nor the boot screen for HP

Back