New PSU

Alster37

Im looking for a new power supply since I don't think my systems stable with 6 fans and a h50 pump turned on. So I like a mainstream psu with plenty of 'A' on the 12v. My current psu has 25A and is 800watts. price isn't really a concern as im not purchasing it until a few months.

any recommendations?

With your system specs, a good 650w would be ample, even if you overclocked CPU and card to the limit. The Corsair unit JMMD linked to offers a good degree of future-proofing, but if you don't plan on any heavy graphics upgrade.
The 650w version (52A on single 12v rail) of the 850w linked in the above post.

As a point of interest, the H50 cooler would draw less than 1A, even if using two fans in push-pull configuration on the radiator. Virtually all 120x25mm fans are less than 0.2A - fairly negligable, and the pump itelf uses barely any more currant.

Corsair 550w would be fine too...actually, the one you currently have should be fine too, however, it looks like a low quality powersupply based on what you've told us, so you might want to get the corsair anyway.

The TX850 is a nice unit, although it's still overkill with an HD 5870 ( "usual" gaming load ~150w , max load ~210-215w). If you're planning on Crossfire in the future then the 850 might get a workout.

I doubt Id be able to get 2 cards in any amount of time. so for a single 5870 a 650 watt corsair?

Personally I would think that you wouldn't be taxing a good 650 like the Corsair to hard, but finding a well constructed, long warranty PSU with good connectivity with any less wattage might not give you very many options. AMD recommend a 600w unit, and even though that takes into account the number of sub-standard "600w" units (i.e. probably <500w actual) I would probably view that as a good starting point.
If your budget can stretch to the 850, then by all means bear it in mind, the unit represents a solid investment and is a very good PSU. It just seems a little overpowered for your intended usage.

I recommend going with a high-efficiency (80 Plus Bronze minimum; 80 Plus Silver recommended) 600W+ unit. I suggest going with any of the models on this page, although my personal recommendations would be the Seasonic SS-750HT and the XFX 750W PSU.

Back