New Rig critique and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknight06

Good evening all, I am trying to put together a new rig and would like any critiques and or suggestions as to what I've put together so far.

The PC will be used mainly for normal day to day activity such as web browsing and moderate gaming, mainly MMORPGs and FPS games. There may be a chance I also use it for playing around with sample Oracle databases, but I wouldn't have an issue wiping and using my current rig for that if I can't put together something strong enough.

My goal currently is to keep it at or under $800. I already have an LCD monitor, 630w power supply and a cpu that I'm not sure I need to bother upgrading just yet. Attached are the components, and thanks for your time.

Current components to carry over:

CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

Power supply - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

Monitor - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1

Components for new PC:

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo - ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video card - XFX HD-577A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

RAM - Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full

For most purposes your build looks pretty solid. However, you could wait a while and save a few more bucks and then look at a complete upgrade. The Q6600 is an excellent processor but has started showing it's age. Ofcourse from what you've said about moderate gaming, it should hold strong. :)

thanks! but i kind of need it nowish since I need a second pc to start practicing for my Microsoft Server 2008 certifications, I may just go ahead and get a new cpu later down the road when i do have a few extra bucks.

Since there are few great processors for LGA775 now, it may be better to buy the cheapest motherboard, and a cheaper CPU to go along with it now, and upgrade both the motherboard and CPU later.

Any chance that you could sell off your current components and then build one from scratch?

If not, then the above build is good.

Since there are few great processors for LGA775 now, it may be better to buy the cheapest motherboard, and a cheaper CPU to go along with it now, and upgrade both the motherboard and CPU later.

Well I already have the quad core one I linked above, so I'm just building around that for now.

Any chance that you could sell off your current components and then build one from scratch?

Naw, I can't sell other components, I actually need both machines up and running for some basic networking and server learning

Again, thanks everyone for the input thus far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back