New rumor suggests Galaxy S8 will have 6GB of RAM and feature 256GB storage option

midian182

Staff member

As 2016 turns out to be one of the worst years in the company’s history, Samsung is looking toward 2017 to put things right. It's hoping that the Galaxy S8 smartphone will help lay to rest the explosive ghost of the Note 7, and if rumors are to be believed, the Korean firm is focusing all its efforts on the upcoming handset, which is said to feature 6GB of RAM and come with a 256GB storage option.

If the latest rumors – originating from China – are true, it will mean that the Galaxy S8 features 2GB more RAM than the S7/S7 Edge. 6GB may sound like overkill for a smartphone, and in reality it probably is, but earlier rumors suggested it could have been as high as 8GB.

It’s also thought that the S8’s internal storage will get a huge boost. While the S7 and S7 Edge come with 32GB of storage as standard (though there is a 64GB version as well), the microSD card slot mean running out of space shouldn’t be an issue for most users. The S8, however, is said to offer 256GB of storage in its highest configuration. What this means for the microsSD slot is unclear, but it would be a surprise if Samsung removes the feature.

Back in September, a leaked report by Sammobile suggested the S8 may come with an Exynos 8895 SoC featuring ARM’s new high-end Mali-G71 mobile GPU. While Tech Updates claims the S8 will ship with a 5.2-inch display featuring a resolution of 2160 x 4096 – an increase over the 1440 x 2560 found in the S7.

One aspect of the S8 that we know will definitely be present is its Siri/Cortana/Alexa-rivalling virtual assistant, which may be activated using a dedicated button on the side of the handset.

All of this means that the Galaxy S8 is said to be 28 percent more expensive to manufacture than the S7. Thankfully, the new smartphone will apparently have the same launch price as its predecessor did last year. Samsung is expected to unveil the S8 at Barcelona's MWC in February/March, we'll be there to find out which rumors turn out to be accurate.

Permalink to story.

6gb of RAM is not overkill for a phone if you want 4k games and videos on it. That's a lot of texturing and content to cache before being pushed to the display. Also, Google Chrome users still like the ability to use more than 3 tabs.

1 min of 4k30fps is around 375MB, thats 6MB/s that you need to cache. I would say 6GB of ram is probably overkill.

It sounds alright and in about 3 month time it should 'explode' onto the scene. I looking forward to it's release, it's almost time for an upgrade for me and Samsung phones always head my list.

"explode" .... oh, droll, very droll ....... but possibly true!

"As 2016 turns out to be one of the worst years in the company’s history, Samsung is looking toward 2017 to put things right. It's hoping that the Galaxy S8 smartphone will help lay to rest the explosive ghost of the Note 7."

I'm sorry, but the S series is NOT a viable replacement for the Note series.

I may agree, without facts backing it, that 6GB isnt overkill as it states "5.2-inch display featuring a resolution of 2160 x 4096" for a phone.

"but it would be a surprise if Samsung removes the feature."

....uhhh, no... no it wouldn't, have you been living under a rock? lol :p Seriously though, I would be surprised if they DID have a microSD card slot.

Disappointingly though, this wont be a viable replacement for my Note 5. (IMO!)

I suppose quick charging improvements will be an excuse to make battery life more suffer more by these insane resolution pushes we keeping making in mobile devices....

Looks like samsung is embracing the true nature of android aka don't optimize just bump specs to joke levels next we'll see a phone with 1TB storage along with a 32core cpu and 24GB ram with a 16k screen.

Seems to me that only reason apple can charge prices they do for the iphones is because no one yet realizes that on a 5.2" device you'll benefit frack all with 6-8GB ram, 4k display, 8 core cpu this ain't a laptop its a damn 5.2" phone... if I wanted to dish out $30k for a phone that plays crysis on ultra 5.2" display 4k then I would be stupid to do so

Looks like samsung is embracing the true nature of android aka don't optimize just bump specs to joke levels next we'll see a phone with 1TB storage along with a 32core cpu and 24GB ram with a 16k screen.

Seems to me that only reason apple can charge prices they do for the iphones is because no one yet realizes that on a 5.2" device you'll benefit frack all with 6-8GB ram, 4k display, 8 core cpu this ain't a laptop its a damn 5.2" phone... if I wanted to dish out $30k for a phone that plays crysis on ultra 5.2" display 4k then I would be stupid to do so

So many things wrong with this comment, but I'll take it all as a joke. lmao

I will agree though, it's silly to tote 4k on a phone.

4K is a gimmick on smartphones and since Samsung wants to be first to use it (before Apple), Apple can just sit back and watch market reactions to it.

It's a waste of energy, the screens run hot, and it requires so much CPU and RAM it's just not worth it.

If you base your worth on "specs" then OK - but if you go for refinement instead of specs, your phones may stop exploding.

I suppose quick charging improvements will be an excuse to make battery life more suffer more by these insane resolution pushes we keeping making in mobile devices....
And the battery failing after 18 months due to heat and rapid charging is a "feature" dont forget.

And of course the samsung fans will come out and defend fast charging as a substitute for a properly sized removable battery, because "you're around a plug all day"

4K is a gimmick on smartphones and since Samsung wants to be first to use it (before Apple), Apple can just sit back and watch market reactions to it.

It's a waste of energy, the screens run hot, and it requires so much CPU and RAM it's just not worth it.

If you base your worth on "specs" then OK - but if you go for refinement instead of specs, your phones may stop exploding.

I'm not sure if "the people" basing their phones worth on "specs" is why they were exploding, but yea everything else you said isnt wrong. I'm not an expert, but I think it had something to do with faulty batteries and/or the charging mechanism Samsung decided to use. Which as far as specs go, people look at the mAh, and whether in includes fast charging, which has been around and has been proven to work without exploding batteries. Just my thoughts.

So... still no removable battery there?

Will I ever upgrade from my G4?

Not the G5 though. That slot brings back bad memories about Express Cards.

We probably wouldn't be in the removable/non removable battery if it wasn't for a couple things.
The stupidity of making a phone a "fashion statement" ie: THIN...along with the silly colors.
When they make a phone thin, that limits the battery size. Due to the wacky nature of lithium
batteries, the cells inside need protection. Considering how stupid humans are around things
that can EXPLODE, lithium batteries come with a protective shell around them. Flex a lithium
battery, or get it's internals wet and watch what happens. That protective shell seals them from
water, and protects them from bending back and forth.
By removing that protective shell, and sealing the battery inside the phone, a manufacturer can
squeeze (no pun intended) a few more milliamps of batter "juice" inside the phone, hoping the
metal shell of the phone will protect it. But, due to the THIN nature of these stupid phones, and
the normal tendency of people to carry their phones in their pants pockets, sitting down will imart
stress on the case, and, the battery. With no extra space, the battery starts flexing, eventually shorting
out and going all Chernobyl on someone.

The LG G series and V series still has removable batteries. Keep an eye on the G6. SD830 and 6-8GB RAM in a 5" chassis with removable battery (and supposedly, not the slot weirdness of the G5)

So, ummm, why are you so late Samsung? Train got held up or you were just too busy playing a mini game of 'Blow up your phones'...smh. I'm buying a phone with these specs, this year. So yeah, you have officially lost your flame. BYE BYE...

It sounds promising although I think I'll wait a few months before seriously looking at it. I've become a little gun shy of purchasing items day they released after the Note 7 fiasco. It's time to take the same approach as I do with new games. Wait a month or so to see what kinds of problems people report.

I guess everyone saying they don't need 4k on a phone is using an iPhone and they haven't realized what they are missing. The note 7 display was freaking beautiful, which is half the reason no one wanted to return their devices.

4k or GTFO.

Back