New Style "Hotlinks" Being Blocked as "Popups"

captaincranky

I'm currently using Opera as my principle browser.

The new style links being put in some (?) posts as a block with picture, text, and link, are being summarily blocked as "popups".

Is this issue wide spread, or is it just Opera being a bit over zealous?

I'm using Firefox and it's not an issue for me. In FF popups aren't blocked by default and I haven't enabled it.

@mailpup The link in question opens up as a new tab, (as it should), in my Firefox also.

It's deeper than that with opera. I can still right click open the link in question with Opera.

I do think that popups are blocked in FF by default.

In any case, I often get a yellow bar under the bookmark bar w/FF saying, "this site tried to open a popup, do you want to allow it"?

Addendumb: Opera seems to treat a left click on the link as a popup, but will open the site on a right click.

FF works this fancy new type link with either right or left click

So I guess you really have to want it with Opera... :confused:

Chase Bank won't let me into my account with Opera, claiming "it's not supported. Firefox won't get me there either. I have NoScript installed, but even with all permissions granted, it's still a no go.

Last edited:
I do think that popups are blocked in FF by default.
You may be right. I don't recall doing anything to enable or disable popups in FF so I may have wrongly assumed it was enabled by default. In any event, I don't have that problem whatever the reason. Also, using FF I'm able to access a Chase account of mine so it can be done, just not by you for some reason. I don't use Opera so I'm no help there.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 FWIW. Maybe you could use, dare I say it, IE?.... Just for banking that is.

....[ ]..... Also, using FF I'm able to access a Chase account of mine so it can be done, just not by you for some reason. ...[ ]....
You know the best feature of Xenforo as opposed to Vbulletin, you don't need to use all caps to close a quote.

In any case, I'm certain the the "NoScript" extension is the issue with accessing certain sites. Banking sites in particular run scripts within scripts. The additional permissions needed aren't listed in the primary permission, so you get part way in, and the site tries to run an additional non permitted script, and you run into a brick wall. I'm an old fart that insists on paper statements, so I just pay them with the free bill pay function of my checking account, and I'm done with it. No need to really go there. If I removed the extension, I have no doubt I'd be golden. Chase also supports....(profanity on the way)......Chrome! :eek:

I don't use Opera so I'm no help there.
SNGX1275 was, (and I assume still is), a big fan of Opera. IIRC Julio mentioned he used it as well.

In any event, Opera has the chrome engine anyway. It does come with a potent ad blocker. I can watch YouTube videos all night long without those nasty floating ads. But NoScript in FF stops cross site scripting, without getting you any of those, "turn off your ad blocker" messages.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 FWIW.
Are you suggesting M$ made versions of Windows other than XP & 7? :confused:

Maybe you could use, dare I say it, IE?.... Just for banking that is.
No, you may not. The last time I tried that was 2005, it taught me well to avoid it, like the plagues it was prone to spreading...."This site is asking permission to install Active X controls"..

OK, so I don't really have an issue that staff need waste time attending to. The quirk I mentioned has an easy work around. Good chat though....:)

Enjoy your weekend

Last edited:
Hmm; I have Opera Version:64.0.3417.92 on Win/7Pro SP1 and can access my bank fully and Chase.com.

I tend to run w/o any addons in my browsers also.

Hmm; I have Opera Version:64.0.3417.92 on Win/7Pro SP1 and can access my bank fully and Chase.com....[ ]...
I can access my home bank fully with FF, "NoScript add-on included and active, but with permissions granted, but not with Chase, for the reasons I outlined above.

(I just updated to the version you have a moment ago, and didn't lose a thing, even my partially written post, which is impressive to say the least)

I'm running Opera on Win 7 32 bit,, with no extensions, save for the native ad blocker.

I made several attempts a few months ago to pay Chase online, failed, and called payments in by phone. At the same time, I pissed a b*tch to them about nor supporting Opera, again emphasizing that Opera is Chrome, albeit a customized version. so support should reasonably be available for it.

Although I would like to imagine my complaints were worked on, it's more likely their IT department simply got off their collective a**es, and corrected the problem..

At one point earlier in this saga, Chase would allow me to continue with the "unknown browser" (Opera), but after a point I was met with a strict refusal to allow it..

I tend to run w/o any addons in my browsers also...[ ]...
I would proffer that you at least investigate the NoScript extension, to familiarize yourself with what it does contribute in the way of safety, and obviously what problems it could potentially create. I am fairly lazy about going through extensive white listing charts, and that could be my issue with FF and the Chase site.

If you do regularly use Opera here at Techspot, I'd be interested on knowing if you experienced that little quirk I outlined in my OP about the new "info box" type links blowing up a "popup warning", with left click, but being able to open them with a right click, "open in a new tab", command

I confess that I get to point with leaving tabs open to a point where to "Speed dial" no longer shows links, (only 4 GB memory), and whether that has any bearing on it.

I do know that CCleaner has a field day removing browsing sludge from Opera, which I run in standard mode, and not private browsing protocol.

All my best.

Epilogue: the letters have mostly worn off my $3.99 Microcenter keyboard, I sick at touch typing, so I guess it's time for a new one...

Last edited:
Bg: I use Opera, IE, Chrome only for testing and FF is my front-line browser

I can access my home bank fully with FF, "NoScript add-on included and active, but with permissions granted, but not with Chase, for the reasons I outlined above.

I would proffer that you at least investigate the NoScript extension, to familiarize yourself with what it does contribute in the way of safety, and obviously what problems it could potentially create. I am fairly lazy about going through extensive white listing charts, and that could be my issue with FF and the Chase site.
I am familiar with NoScript and it's effects, which can be devastating to the webpage designer. Even the most trivial use (cookie X contains Y) in support of login paints the user into a corner where most pages loose all logical decision branching.

I don't need NoScript and if users of my webpages insisit upon it, I refer to the Terms & Conditions where it is listed that Scripting is a requirement

I am familiar with NoScript and it's effects, which can be devastating to the webpage designer.,[ ]....
Client side can be a far different story. I run an XP machine on the web. "NoScript is no longer supported on the latest version of FF provided to that OS (53.xx something or other).

Up until that happened, I hadn't had anything but blank popups and no "Live Jasmin" ads for years.

Oh dear, I may have said too much... :eek: ;)

Client side can be a far different story. I run an XP machine on the web. "NoScript is no longer supported on the latest version of FF provided to that OS (53.xx something or other).
This may not be so obvious -- NoScript on the client/browser side impacts the server/webside because the presentation gets manipulated so that it becomes impossiple to show the necessary fields to complete the login.

IMO, while effective, Noscript is overkill and other alternatives are sufficent -- but that's your choice.

I guess that FF 53.xx is the last version supporting XP?

Back